Nervous as hell to ask for LoRs!!!

I recently got a Masters after close-to a decade and hustled a lot to get good LoRs from undergrad. Went back to my old school, assisted the professors there with some extra classes, sucked-up to really annoying employers etc. But the result was worth it as I got into a top university in the UK. This time around. I intend to apply for a PhD to schools in the U.S. and once again, I have spent the whole of this year building relationships with potential letter writers but I am really nervous to ask. One of them is a renowned professor from an Ivy League whom I assisted on a very prestigious project he was working on pro-bono and needed someone to just do the work for him. He made it clear to me a dozen times that he has "15 jobs" and little time while I was working with him... which makes me very nervous to ask, although I really slogged it out, and went all out for him for very little money. Similarly, I approached my department head from the UK and worked innumerable hours for her on a project very close to her heart. Both of them were incredibly thankful in their emails (we all work in different countries) but I haven't been able to bring myself to write those letters. I am not sure what has changed since pre-masters and now! How do I find the courage to write those emails? I am not sure if this post appears frivolous but I am really  nervous as I feel a lot more is at stake this time. A letter from the Ivy league professor and my former department head - renowned in the field - could be game-changers and I am worried it won't work out.

I just had to re-ask my advisor for a letter, because I didn't get in last year, and I am reapplying this year.... talk about embarrassing. 

I think you are just nervous about the outcome of your application. Do you have back-ups that might not be as prestigious, but could still write you a decent letter? If so, just bite the bullet and ask. Make sure to have a nice tailored email, saying that you understand how busy they are, but that you respect their position in the field, and how much a letter from them would mean to you. 

Also, a letter from a prestigious, renowned in the field writer that was written in haste because they don't have any time to write one for you is not necessarily the better option.

For anybody who stumbles upon this post - I found the courage to ask for the letter and the super busy Ivy league professor was more than delighted to write me a letter. this is a big step forward for me and could really help my application - we will see how it all turns out! 

• 1 month later...

Best of luck PhdApplicant311! You seem to be a very hard worker. I think the way out of such dilemmas is to allow professors enough time to write the letters; Letting them know 3 Months before submitting your application is good enough time.

Edited by AhmedMA