UTSC Clinical Psych

Generic_Applicant

Hey all,

Just wanted some input on the program at UTSC in Clinical Psych if possible. Is anyone here attending/applying or know much about the program anyway? 

I want to know in terms of program quality, accreditation, funding, etc. Plus.. the commute, from downtown Toronto.

Appreciate it!

Great folks like I've told you about at UTSC :)
Are you applying to the PhD directly, though? From what I remember, they currently do not have an immediate PhD stream set in place yet and everyone who gets accepted has to go through the two year MA first.

Great folks like I've told you about at UTSC :)
Are you applying to the PhD directly, though? From what I remember, they currently do not have an immediate PhD stream set in place yet and everyone who gets accepted has to go through the two year MA first.

Hey!

That's the impression I was under too but it seems they have redone their website and it now says we can apply at the PhD level.

The faculty and research seems outstanding so I am excited (and a bit nervous).

Do you know anything about the co-supervision process? The faculty I am interested in is associate faculty and they said that I'd have to list a core faculty to co-supervise. What if the core faculty has stronger applicants in mind for them? Who does the decision rest on for the position with the associate faculty, you know? >.<

Ah so they have. I think it's because their first PhD cohort started this year. 
I think it's of your interest to bridge the connection between the associate faculty and the clinical core faculty. As you can tell, they've added a whole lot of potential co-supervisors that you can work with. Ultimately, you'll be advancing their network and research if you are interested in working with one of the associate faculty members. 

The only hindrance is that, ultimately, the core faculty members have the final say on who is selected. You can be working closer with one of the associates, and have a system in place on how the core faculty member plays a role in your studies, but they decide who gets in.

• 2 weeks later...

Another quick question- for anyone in a PhD clinical psych program (pref at UTSC, but I guess the exact school doesnt matter)- How much time do you spend on coursework? I see from their website that the PhD involves 3 courses per year. How much time do you actually end up spending in class and doing coursework over the years? How much is your research and placement work? 

Appreciate any insight in helping me plan/make decisions! Thanks!