2 CV Questions

pea-jay

I have done my research on this subject but I have two CV questions. Well, one CV question and one that relates to its use. I have perused a number of CV examples and most lead off with educational and teaching experience before going into other subject areas. I used to teach computer classes to children for 3 years but I would hardly say it's relevant to my current Grad school interests. I have a bachelors of course, but also 20 units of Graduate work in my field that I completed with mostly A's, although I did not finish because of funding and family factors. SO...should I lead out with those or stick them after work experience, which is fairly extensive both in and out of my current field of interest? Also will the teaching (and other related aspects like job mentoring) make it more likely that I would be open for a teaching assistant ship?

Secondly...at last weeks job fair I was encouraged to contact this recruiter about setting up a visit to the college and meet professors/current students. He gave me his contact info and told me to reference this conversation. I'm now 99% sure I'm going to take him up on this offer. Would it be appropriate to attach the CV to email correspondence. What about the other two programs which an email at this point would be closer to a cold-call?

I have done my research on this subject but I have two CV questions. Well, one CV question and one that relates to its use. I have perused a number of CV examples and most lead off with educational and teaching experience before going into other subject areas. I used to teach computer classes to children for 3 years but I would hardly say it's relevant to my current Grad school interests. I have a bachelors of course, but also 20 units of Graduate work in my field that I completed with mostly A's, although I did not finish because of funding and family factors. SO...should I lead out with those or stick them after work experience, which is fairly extensive both in and out of my current field of interest? Also will the teaching (and other related aspects like job mentoring) make it more likely that I would be open for a teaching assistant ship?

Secondly...at last weeks job fair I was encouraged to contact this recruiter about setting up a visit to the college and meet professors/current students. He gave me his contact info and told me to reference this conversation. I'm now 99% sure I'm going to take him up on this offer. Would it be appropriate to attach the CV to email correspondence. What about the other two programs which an email at this point would be closer to a cold-call?

You should lead out with the strongest stuff, though depending on your field, I wouldn't lead with the work experience, since that will make your CV too much like a resume (there's a PhD comics joke about transforming a CV into resume, simply by moving all of the related work experience to the top of the document, instead of at the bottom). Instead, I'd start with your Education, but just don't dwell on it if you feel it's unrelated to your goals or unimpressive. You can put your grad school stuff on there, just put that you were a Non-Matriculating Student.

I don't think there's any issue with using your CV as a document to introduce yourself and your background. In fact, I think that's pretty standard.

I'm not sure I'd include the CV if you email the recruiter. If a professor asks for it, definitely, but it sounds like the recruiter would just facilitate a meeting with profs/students and wouldn't necessarily care about your qualifications. I could be wrong though!