Better choice for professional LoR?

Elvidi

So a few of the schools I'm applying to require at least 1 professional recommendation. Since I am applying straight out of undergrad, I will obviously be using one of my former internship supervisors. My question is, would it be better to request a letter from a supervisor from an internship that was directly in my field at a high-profile organization, but where I didn't have much one-on-one contact with my supervisor, or from an internship at a small, local nonprofit not immediately related to my field, but where I worked very closely with my supervisor? 

It depends on what you're hoping will be in the recommendation letter. What skills/abilities of yours do you want the supervisor to discuss? Would the supervisor at the high-profile place be able to talk to anyone about what you did while there and incorporate that into their letter?

@rising_star, I did a lot of substantive work for both positions, and both supervisors gave me great evaluations. I guess the main difference is the supervisor from the smaller position had more time to get to know me and really understand my goals & strengths...

@rising_star, I did a lot of substantive work for both positions, and both supervisors gave me great evaluations. I guess the main difference is the supervisor from the smaller position had more time to get to know me and really understand my goals & strengths...

I would lean toward getting the strongest letter, which sounds like the supervisor from the smaller organization.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the input! I have a follow-up now ...

after much thought, I'm leaning toward the bigger name. My question now is, if I haven't been in contact with him since June, how do I tastefully ask for him to write me a letter? While I'm certain he hasn't forgotten who I am, I feel strange just shooting him an unsolicited email...

On 11/4/2015, 7:00:56, Elvidi said:

Thank you for the input! I have a follow-up now ...

after much thought, I'm leaning toward the bigger name. My question now is, if I haven't been in contact with him since June, how do I tastefully ask for him to write me a letter? While I'm certain he hasn't forgotten who I am, I feel strange just shooting him an unsolicited email...

You seem like you've already decided, so this is my advice for the bigger name:

• Be concise. If you haven't contacted this individual since June, and you don't have time to work up to a recommendation request, then summarize your request in 2 (or 3 short) paragraphs, max. 
  • One benefit will be that your graduate program appears to be in the same field as your internship. Emphasize how the work experience convinced you to commit your next two years to a graduate program in that field. Tie in specific programs from your top schools that show you've done the research and you aren't wasting his time.
  • If you still live/work in the same area, ask if he has time to sit down with you to talk about your interests and career goals. If he does not have time, then offer to attach a single-page document listing the reasons why you believe you are qualified for XX graduate school.
  • Offer to include a document of your time as an intern. What notable things did you do that separated you from everyone else? Did you submit an op-ed that got published? Did you work closely with said supervisor on a project? Did you offer specific technical skills that no one else possessed? Even if you did none of the above, a list of your duties and tasks will make the prospect of writing a recommendation a lot less arduous. 

Your job is to make things as easy as possible for your supervisor. Be proactive (but not pushy!) in as few words as possible. Keep cordial greetings to no more than 2 lines. Don't feel too worried about asking for a recommendation without prior notice - he should understand that recommendations are a part of professional culture, and that ~6 months between life updates is natural. 

And, of course, thank him for taking time to consider your request. 

Edited by StyLeD