American Studies at NYU

samjones

I have a very short list of programs I am applying to next year and the American Studies at NYU is one of them. I hardly ever see any topics on American Studies so I thought I'd start one!

Who else is looking at American Studies programs? Anyone have any impressions and/or "inside" knowledge about the program at NYU?

Cheers!

Edited by samjones

I'm considering applying at NYU, as well as Rutgers, Harvard, Yale, and Indiana Bloomington. NYU is the only place I haven't really analyzed, but from a cursory glance, it seems that their faculty are researching more contemporary issues than other schools. Where are you applying?

• 3 months later...

I'm considering applying at NYU, as well as Rutgers, Harvard, Yale, and Indiana Bloomington. NYU is the only place I haven't really analyzed, but from a cursory glance, it seems that their faculty are researching more contemporary issues than other schools. Where are you applying?

hey, jlennon33. i've applied to some of the same schools as you... except possibly different programs/departments. for example, while i went for the American Studies PhD at NYU i applied to the Cultural Anthropology/CITE program at Rutgers. The third program and school I applied to turned out to be CUNY's Anthropology department for the cultural subfield.

as might often be the case, now that i've submitted my application i've since come up with lots of language and thoughts that might have better articulated my interests! as it is, i talked about my interest in neoliberal restructuring, hegemony and social movements in Latin America with particular interest in ngo's.

have you heard anything yet from NYU? what is/was the research interest (generally even) that you discussed?

I'm really into queer theory / queer history and a lot of the faculty there, as you probably know, are very involved in that. What about you?

i had to go back to their site to remind myself, but yeah, there are definitely lots of folks looking at sexuality and queerness. what in particular (or as particular as you're willing to get on the internet) are in interested in? did you try engaging with any of the profs or students there? i did (and i'm interested in political economy, latin america, neoliberal globalization kind of stuff) and it was like pulling teeth with the faculty, for me. but one of the dissertation-staged students was very open and engaging.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

they are really taking their time, hey? next week is their spring break... maybe we'll hear after that? maybe they will take hard looks at the apps during the spring break and make decisions then, too... i can only hope!

I read online that they send decisions the last week of March. I know I have been rejected, but maybe they haven't totally finished their decisions and/or are just taking their time? Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear!!! :)