MIA EARLY BIRD APPLICATIONS IHEID

su_nayana

1 hour ago, su_nayana said:

Where is the hidden section though? Could someone send a screenshot? I'm feeling pretty disheartened already. *Sigh*

Pressing "Fn" + "F12" will display the HTML code on the page for Chrome and internet explorer (I don't know about other browsers). Use ctrl  + F to find the "hidden" sections. It should be there for everyone--changing the code on individuals' pages would be a pretty clumsy way to notify people of their decisions--acceptances, rejections, and deferrals--since there's already a section for that which is marked as "under consideration" for all of us at the moment.

6 minutes ago, AAAAAAAA said:

Pressing "Fn" + "F12" will display the HTML code on the page for Chrome and internet explorer (I don't know about other browsers). Use ctrl  + F to find the "hidden" sections. It should be there for everyone--changing the code on individuals' pages would be a pretty clumsy way to notify people of their decisions--acceptances, rejections, and deferrals--since there's already a section for that which is marked as "under consideration" for all of us at the moment.

Oh okay! Yeah I have it too. I don't think that's a "secret section". :) Thanks @AAAAAAAA 

Hi everyone! Submitted my application over the weekend. SO glad it's over with. Good luck to everyone who applied in the early round. I, on the other hand, will have to wait until March!

Anyone here applying to SOAS? My application is under academic review currently and I am super anxious. That means it's past the document processing stage and the reviewers are deciding whether or not to accept or reject me right?! :o:unsure:

@su_nayana and @AAAAAAAA, you guys don't need to take my observations so seriously! :P I just find it interesting to check for any updates to the page, considering I visit it several times a day out of boredom (and also because it's become a reflexive habit). Speaking of updates, there's a notice that IHEID will be on break from 12/19 to 1/3... so looks like @El pichichi's insistence that we'd get answers by 12/16 was incorrect. Now to wait for another month... how exciting, haha.

@AndrewM Nice of you to join us! Did you apply by the early deadline or regular?

And @unagi, good job with submitting your app! And I'd say "under academic review" sounds like the decisive stage alright, so best of luck!

Edited by taeyeon

@taeyeon Although the page code might indicate nothing, I feel it is interesting to study the setting of it!!! Before I started my application, I knew literally nothing about the things in related to coding!!! Now, because of your findings, it seems checking the page code become my daily habit as well :P !!!Maybe I cannot be admitted, but at least I learn a new skill!

@su_nayana  No need to worry so much!!! There is a quote said by my teacher, I also experienced a period that feeling stressful before I submitted my application, she told me no need to worry so such, if it is yours, it is yours, if it is not yours, it is not yours. After hearing her sincere words, I feel relaxed!!! :)

6 hours ago, taeyeon said:

@su_nayana and @AAAAAAAA, you guys don't need to take my observations so seriously! :P I just find it interesting to check for any updates to the page, considering I visit it several times a day out of boredom (and also because it's become a reflexive habit). Speaking of updates, there's a notice that IHEID will be on break from 12/19 to 1/3... so looks like @El pichichi's insistence that we'd get answers by 12/16 was incorrect. Now to wait for another month... how exciting, haha.

@AndrewM Nice of you to join us! Did you apply by the early deadline or regular?

And @unagi, good job with submitting your app! And I'd say "under academic review" sounds like the decisive stage alright, so best of luck!

Applied for the early deadline, and accidentally found this thread just a couple of days ago. Actually, when I went through it, I hoped @El pichichi's prophecy was right. But given the break you mentioned, they either notifies us within the next two days OR in mid-January.

Hi Guys, 

Does your follow up page shows sections that read:
- conditions
- other conditions fixed by the committee
- accommodation decision ?

Mine does when I open the page, but they disappear after about 20 seconds and the page goes back to "normal" with the regular sections.
Anyone noticed the same thing ? 

5 hours ago, AndrewM said:

Applied for the early deadline, and accidentally found this thread just a couple of days ago. Actually, when I went through it, I hoped @El pichichi's prophecy was right. But given the break you mentioned, they either notifies us within the next two days OR in mid-January.

I agree. It seems like IHEID did intend to send out decisions for early applicants in early December originally (that was written on the application page initially, and if you read their Q&As, it's still written 'mid-December'). But I guess perhaps there were simply more early applicants this year, or they have something else to occupy themselves with in these months, that's why they changed it to mid-January. If there was a choice, I'd love to hear back from them in the coming two days though! :P

Did you guys apply to other schools? Or is IHEID your first and only choice?

Edited by haru_ko

IHEID is my first choice, but I have a couple of backup plans - though none of them is even close to the Graduate Institute, as far as I am concerned. The good part is that these schools have later deadlines compared to IHEID, so I have quite some time to think about them. What about you guys?

For me, IHEID is the only school I've applied to this year. It's mostly because other universities I would consider either: 1) don't offer sufficient scholarships (I need at least 100% of tuition fee + at least partial living costs to afford a graduate education), 2) require at least 2 years of work experience, or 3) have no alternatives to TOEFL/IELTS scores. Though the lame part is, I was looking through the Swiss student visa requirements and you have to have a TOEFL score anyway... <_<

It'd be great if I make it into IHEID, because compared to larger universities in English-speaking countries, smaller campuses like this are easier to navigate and administration procedures are much simpler. But if not, I have a wider selection of schools I want to apply to next year. Though I nearly get a headache just thinking of all the papers a US or Canadian university would require! :rolleyes:

@Maeva I submitted 3 applications for now (got an offer from Sciences Po), and may apply to more depending on whether I got offers from other schools.

@taeyeon I'm currently studying in Switzerland as an international student. But when I applied for my visa, I didn't need to submit English test scores (I didn't have to either when I applied to my Swiss university because I have an International Baccalaureate diploma). 

@shirley_xie Which UK unis did you apply to? 

Edited by haru_ko

2 hours ago, shirley_xie said:

The three UK universities that I applied for are University of Bristol (accepted), University of Durham(waiting), and University of St. Andrews (rejected). 

@shirley_xie I see. I'm also applying to a few UK universities, but I haven't finished the applications... Would you consider attending University of Bristol though? (which course there?) I personally do think that amongst your choices, studying at IHEID would be the most exciting experiences. So fingers crossed for you! 

@haru_ko, thanks:)!!!! Best luck for your application too!!! Actually my major is neither political science nor social science, but all the courses I applied for are in related to international relations!! For University of Bristol, I applied their MSc International Relations programme.  

Definitely!!!! I do agree with you, studying at IHEID is the most earnest dream of every members in this group!!! If I am rejected by IHEID, I will accept the UK uni offer as I have found out I am really into studying this complex world, especially regarding racial conflicts.

Well let's wait for our decisions in Mid January. So far I have applied to IHEID, HERTIE SCHOOL OF GOVERNANCE . I will also be submitting my application by January 15th 2016 to University of Maryland School of Public Policy and Sciences Po Paris.

9 hours ago, El pichichi said:

Well let's wait for our decisions in Mid January. So far I have applied to IHEID, HERTIE SCHOOL OF GOVERNANCE . I will also be submitting my application by January 15th 2016 to University of Maryland School of Public Policy and Sciences Po Paris.

What happened with your mole at IHEID, @El pichichi? Did he/she get some wrong information? B)