fresh GRE scores...any opinions?

ristastic

I'm applying for an art history PhD and the GRE and I have an extremely complex relationship. I took it in August and got a 660V, 480Q, 5.5AW. I was told by pretty much everyone to try and raise my verbal and to not worry about the math, however low. I just took it this past weekend and got, much to my surprise after only studying for verbal, a 630V, 610Q and I imagine the AW will be a 5.5 or so.

I know that "the GRE won't get you in, but it can keep you out." Are these scores going to keep me out? Are they going to kill my financial aid chances? I'm not really interested in taking it a 3rd time (mostly because that math score will never happen again), so am I better off just concentrating on my SOP/writing sample?

To answer your final question, yes, I think if I were you I'd concentrate on the other areas of your applications. However, if you feel you have a relationship with anyone at the schools you're applying to and feel comfortable inquiring about any GRE cut-offs, it might not hurt to ask the questions you asked in your post.

To answer your final question, yes, I think if I were you I'd concentrate on the other areas of your applications. However, if you feel you have a relationship with anyone at the schools you're applying to and feel comfortable inquiring about any GRE cut-offs, it might not hurt to ask the questions you asked in your post.

Everything that I have read that suggests that you want to be sure and pass the 600 mark, to be safe from the secret cut off number. Also, as you have already heard, quant doesn't mean anything to programs like art history and English (my discipline). I think those scores are perfectly acceptable, and that you should focus your energies on WS and SOP.

Good luck.