Hi all. I wish to pursue my MS in the field of Electrical Engineering in Fall 2016. I would like my SoP to be reviewed.

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

Martin Luther King’s famous line “I have a dream…” still echoes in my mind and never fails to inspire me. Dreams according to me are exercises in imagination. I believe everyone should dream and take considerable efforts to turn those dreams into reality. Dreams therefore can be defined as extended reality. I too have a dream and that is to pursue my master’s program in USA.

Studying for a master’s degree requires a certain amount of determination and strength of character. In this era of globalization, the business world is progressing rapidly towards an integrated economy thus giving rise to an unprecedented explosion of opportunities. In order to make a difference in today’s competitive world, it’s essential to obtain a quality education of world-class standards, attain a globalized viewpoint and develop an awareness of the ground realities of different international avenues. I believe pursuing a master’s program is a key step in achieving these prerequisites. And after carefully scrutinizing my interests, I have chosen to specialize in Electrical Engineering at Arizona State University.

The implications of Electrical Engineering to the society are huge owing to the fact that the field has been a major factor in the evolution of modern technology. I am certainly overwhelmed, when I look back at the spectrum of change brought about by the field in impacting several spheres of life. However, our society still faces a plethora of technical and logistical challenges for which Electrical Engineering could provide the necessary solutions. Personally, I believe the primary solution to the pressing problems would be an obligation of research work. Hence, to be a part of this profound transition, I believe that just a Bachelor’s degree is far from sufficient and I would like to widen my knowledge, broaden my horizons and make myself a part of the cutting edge research fraternity by pursuing my master’s. A master’s degree in Electrical Engineering will definitely open me up to an abundance of exciting opportunities and equip me on the personal and professional fronts as well.

Development of any country is characterized by its people, which in turn are moulded by top notch teaching institutions. After higher secondary education, I opted for a course in Electrical and Electronics Engineering at SSN College of Engineering, one of India’s premier educational institutions. SSN College of Engineering, affiliated to Anna University, has consistently been ranked among the top 10 colleges in Tamil Nadu. With its rigorous curriculum and solid focus on communication skills, SSN College of Engineering stands out from the crowd. The course structure ensures a continuous exposure to a variety of engineering subjects that demand high quantitative and analytical skills.

Furthermore, I have handled a number of technical and research projects and attended a fair number of internships, trainings and seminars which have helped me gain hands-on experience. I got an opportunity to undergo an in-plant training at Prolec-GE, a transformer manufacturing company in Kancheepuram. During my sophomore year, I was chosen to be one among the five people to attend training at a nuclear power plant named Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Ltd. (BHAVINI), situated in Kalpakkam.  Additionally, I undertook an internship at MEL Systems and Services which enriched me with firsthand knowledge of automatic testing equipment for relays and bay control units. My everlasting fascination with electronics gave me a chance to participate in the Texas Instruments Analog Maker Competition, conducted by Texas Instruments India University Program. On a fundamental level, being part of these projects gave me an opportunity to become better acquainted with the necessities of typical research work and enabled me to achieve holistic development.

A taste of Power Electronics in my junior year convinced me of the inevitable presence of power electronics in quotidian needs, ranging from battery chargers to variable speed drives in induction motors. I started my final year research project, along with a team of two, on the fault diagnosis of voltage source inverters and induction motors, under the able guidance of esteemed professor, Dr.V.Rajini. As indicated by the title, this project aims at the diagnosis of faults both in the power switch side and the induction motor side. As far as the induction motor faults are concerned, stator faults have been diagnosed with the help of MATLAB/SIMULINK using ‘Park’s Vector Approach’, where the motor current signatures were used to detect and diagnose incipient faults. The power switch faults in the inverter have been diagnosed using the ‘Normalized Currents Average Values’ technique, where the average values of the normalized current signatures were used to determine the fault variables, which were in turn used as an indication of the location of the fault. Our project on the fault diagnosis of induction motors based on Park’s Vector Approach was selected to be one of a very few deserving projects for the final round of Project Display, at Corona, an intra collegiate technical fest conducted by SSN College of Engineering. I had the opportunity to present a paper titled ‘Fault Diagnosis of VSI-Fed Three-Phase Induction Motor’ at the International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, the proceedings of which will soon earn a place in the International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Data Communication. Currently working on another method named ‘Errors of the Normalized Currents Average Absolute Values’, our aim is to complete the simulation and implement the hardware. I intend to present my work at an IEEE conference later this year after completing the circuitry and hardware.

However, academics wasn’t my sole territory. Extra-curricular activities have always been an integral part of my education as they provide a refreshing break to the stressful college life. I am a trained classical dancer and have staged many performances. I also love to organize events, and have organized a lot of events for a National Level Technical Symposium conducted by SSN.  My latent entrepreneurial interests earned me a rightful place in the Entrepreneurship Development Cell in my college. I have also actively participated in numerous science quizzes and Olympiads in school.

Writing about me is a tricky task. I need to be completely unbiased and neutral. However, I do believe I have effective communication and interpersonal skills. I have the unique ability of working in multi-function teams. I am extremely detail-oriented and have the uncanny knack of grasping concepts effortlessly. I am also a highly hands-on person. I believe in creating an impressive body of work that speaks for itself. Setting an example rather than preaching is one of the many important values I learnt and is a distinct attribute in my code of conduct. Mahatma Gandhi succinctly summarizes it in his words “My life is my message”.

I look forward to an intellectually stimulating and challenging environment that is conducive for learning, enhances creativity, fosters my interests, broadens my outlook, satiates my thirst for knowledge and enriches my experience. And the one university which satisfies all these requirements would be Arizona State University. The master’s program at Arizona State University looms large in my mind as I see and dream myself as being one among the researchers at the Power Systems Engineering Research Center. I feel compelled to join there because of the wide range of research in the area of Electric Power and Energy Systems that it addresses, the quality of the industrial relations and its extensive volume of work that serves as benchmarks for excellence. The diversity of backgrounds which the university brings in by accommodating students and faculties will definitely offer a platform of sharing knowledge and experience which I can leverage in the future. I also eagerly look forward to learn under the academic guidance of eminent professors like Dr. Raja Ayyanar and would love to assist him on switch mode power electronics.

After completing my master’s degree, I wish to work in the electrical industry, take up challenging positions, implement my knowledge and facilitate changes in the society in small, but significant ways. I am convinced that my commitment to my goals, dedication, hard work and most of all an unquenchable thirst to make a difference will help me achieve my goals.

I staunchly feel that a master’s degree in Electrical Engineering at Arizona State University will help me define a path for myself, hold me in good stead in the future and encourage me to contribute something substantial and meaningful to the society. I’m sure that my strong grasp of the basics, a disposition for teaching and team work, a taste for research and an insatiable appetite for learning will help me tide through challenges and achieve laurels. Having established my credentials, I sincerely feel that I can do justice to the graduate program as I have the required attitude and aptitude to excel in this field. I am supremely confident by giving you my full-fledged guarantee that I will be able to not only live up to the standards set by the program and university, but also exceed it by a mile. I look forward to embark on a learning odyssey and satisfy my perpetual quest for knowledge starting at Arizona State University.  

-          BAAVANA BALAJI

Hi all. I wish to pursue my MS in the field of Electrical Engineering in Fall 2016. I would like my SoP to be reviewed.

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE

Martin Luther King’s famous line “I have a dream…” still echoes in my mind and never fails to inspire me. Dreams according to me are exercises in imagination. I believe everyone should dream and take considerable efforts to turn those dreams into reality. Dreams therefore can be defined as extended reality. I too have a dream and that is to pursue my master’s program in USA. This whole paragraph is kind of fluffy for an engineering major. I wouldn't start with a cliche quote... but that's just me. 

Studying for a master’s degree requires a certain amount of determination and strength of character. (Everyone reading this is aware that a Master's degree requires determination. I would remove this sentence) In this era of globalization, the business world is progressing rapidly towards an integrated economy thus giving rise to an unprecedented explosion of opportunities. In order to make a difference in today’s competitive world, it’s essential to obtain a quality education of world-class standards, attain a globalized viewpoint and develop an awareness of the ground realities of different international avenues. I believe pursuing a master’s program is a key step in achieving these prerequisites. And after carefully scrutinizing my interests, I have chosen to specialize in Electrical Engineering at Arizona State University. (Is ASU your only application choice, or are you applying to multiple schools. If the latter, I would state that you have chose to specialize in EE and believe "such and such" a school is the right place for you because of "such and such".)

The above paragraph and the below paragraph are kind of fluffy and both state "I want to go here for a masters which will open up a bunch of stuff for me". Cut this down to one single paragraph that is short and to the point. 

The implications of Electrical Engineering to the society are huge owing to the fact that the field has been a major factor in the evolution of modern technology. I am certainly overwhelmed, when I look back at the spectrum of change brought about by the field in impacting several spheres of life. However, our society still faces a plethora of technical and logistical challenges for which Electrical Engineering could provide the necessary solutions. "Personally, I believe the primary solution to the pressing problems would be an obligation of research work. Hence, to be a part of this profound transition, I believe that just a Bachelor’s degree is far from sufficient" (Although not intended... this sentence is somewhat offensive to the people who only get bachelor's as if implying they are incapable of tackling new challenges. Rather than saying that a bachelor's isn't sufficient to be part of the profound transition, it is insufficient to achieve whatever specific goal you have in mind.. ie advanced research.) (Also.... some might argue that to truly be a part of the profound transition, you would really need a PhD which is equally offensive to your goal.)  and I would like to widen my knowledge, broaden my horizons and make myself a part of the cutting edge research fraternity by pursuing my master’s. A master’s degree in Electrical Engineering will definitely open me up to an abundance of exciting opportunities and equip me on the personal and professional fronts as well.

Development of any country is characterized by its people, which in turn are moulded by top notch teaching institutions. After higher secondary education, I opted for a course in Electrical and Electronics Engineering at SSN College of Engineering, one of India’s premier educational institutions. SSN College of Engineering, affiliated to Anna University, has consistently been ranked among the top 10 colleges in Tamil Nadu. With its rigorous curriculum and solid focus on communication skills, SSN College of Engineering stands out from the crowd. The course structure ensures a continuous exposure to a variety of engineering subjects that demand high quantitative and analytical skills. (Because you are applying to an American University... I will say that I would personally remove this entire paragraph. If your school was truly a premier educational institution, the committee will be aware of its presence. Also... they have google. I have heard people on the committee complain that students spend too much time stating things that they are already aware of or could easily look up, rather that spending their time stating the things they can't find out about you.)

By this point, the committee has read half a page and hasn't learned anything about why they should choose you. You need to really emphasize your research, skills, and fit in this sop. 

Furthermore, I have handled a number of technical and research projects and attended a fair number of internships, trainings and seminars which have helped me gain hands-on experience. I got an opportunity to undergo an in-plant training at Prolec-GE, a transformer manufacturing company in Kancheepuram. During my sophomore year, I was chosen to be one among the five people to attend training at a nuclear power plant named Bharatiya Nabhikiya Vidyut Nigam Ltd. (BHAVINI), situated in Kalpakkam.  Additionally, I undertook an internship at MEL Systems and Services which enriched me with firsthand knowledge of automatic testing equipment for relays and bay control units. My everlasting fascination with electronics gave me a chance to participate in the Texas Instruments Analog Maker Competition, conducted by Texas Instruments India University Program. On a fundamental level, being part of these projects gave me an opportunity to become better acquainted with the necessities of typical research work and enabled me to achieve holistic development.

A taste of Power Electronics in my junior year convinced me of the inevitable presence of power electronics in quotidian needs, ranging from battery chargers to variable speed drives in induction motors. I started my final year research project, along with a team of two, on the fault diagnosis of voltage source inverters and induction motors, under the able guidance of esteemed professor, Dr.V.Rajini. As indicated by the title, this project aims at the diagnosis of faults both in the power switch side and the induction motor side. As far as the induction motor faults are concerned, stator faults have been diagnosed with the help of MATLAB/SIMULINK using ‘Park’s Vector Approach’, where the motor current signatures were used to detect and diagnose incipient faults. The power switch faults in the inverter have been diagnosed using the ‘Normalized Currents Average Values’ technique, where the average values of the normalized current signatures were used to determine the fault variables, which were in turn used as an indication of the location of the fault. Our project on the fault diagnosis of induction motors based on Park’s Vector Approach was selected to be one of a very few deserving projects for the final round of Project Display, at Corona, an intra collegiate technical fest conducted by SSN College of Engineering. I had the opportunity to present a paper titled ‘Fault Diagnosis of VSI-Fed Three-Phase Induction Motor’ at the International Conference on Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, the proceedings of which will soon earn a place in the International Journal of Electrical, Electronics and Data Communication. Currently working on another method named ‘Errors of the Normalized Currents Average Absolute Values’, our aim is to complete the simulation and implement the hardware. I intend to present my work at an IEEE conference later this year after completing the circuitry and hardware.

However, academics wasn’t my sole territory (I would say interest). Extra-curricular activities have always been an integral part of my education as they provide a refreshing break to the stressful college life. I am a trained classical dancer and have staged many performances. I also love to organize events, and have organized a lot of events for a National Level Technical Symposium conducted by SSN.  My latent entrepreneurial interests earned me a rightful place in the Entrepreneurship Development Cell in my college. I have also actively participated in numerous science quizzes and Olympiads in school.

I would also transition the above and below paragraphs into one paragraph. Find a bridge. 

Writing about me is a tricky task. I need to be completely unbiased and neutral. However, (Remove this... the committee knows that it is difficult to write about one's self) I do believe I have effective communication and interpersonal skills. I have the unique ability of working in multi-function teams. I am extremely detail-oriented and have the uncanny knack of grasping concepts effortlessly. I am also a highly hands-on person. I believe in creating an impressive body of work that speaks for itself. Setting an example rather than preaching is one of the many important values I learnt and is a distinct attribute in my code of conduct. Mahatma Gandhi succinctly summarizes it in his words “My life is my message”. (Many committees hate cliche phrases, however true they may be.)

I look forward to an intellectually stimulating and challenging environment that is conducive for learning, enhances creativity, fosters my interests, broadens my outlook, satiates my thirst for knowledge and enriches my experience. And the one university which satisfies all these requirements would be Arizona State University. The master’s program at Arizona State University looms large in my mind as I see and dream myself as being one among the researchers at the Power Systems Engineering Research Center. I feel compelled to join there because of the wide range of research in the area of Electric Power and Energy Systems that it addresses, the quality of the industrial relations and its extensive volume of work that serves as benchmarks for excellence. The diversity of backgrounds which the university brings in by accommodating students and faculties will definitely offer a platform of sharing knowledge and experience which I can leverage in the future. I also eagerly look forward to learn under the academic guidance of eminent professors like Dr. Raja Ayyanar and would love to assist him on switch mode power electronics.

After completing my master’s degree, I wish to work in the electrical industry, take up challenging positions, implement my knowledge and facilitate changes in the society in small, but significant ways. I am convinced that my commitment to my goals, dedication, hard work and most of all an unquenchable thirst to make a difference will help me achieve my goals. I staunchly feel that a master’s (Combine) degree in Electrical Engineering at Arizona State University will help me define a path for myself, hold me in good stead in the future and encourage me to contribute something substantial and meaningful to the society. I’m sure that my strong grasp of the basics, a disposition for teaching and team work, a taste for research and an insatiable appetite for learning will help me tide through challenges and achieve laurels. Having established my credentials, I sincerely feel that I can do justice to the graduate program as I have the required attitude and aptitude to excel in this field. I am supremely confident (Over-confidence is one of the largest complaints against millennials by recruiters, perhaps instead say "I believe that by giving you") by giving you my full-fledged guarantee that I will be able to not only live up to the standards set by the program and university, but also exceed it by a mile. I look forward to embark on a learning odyssey and satisfy my perpetual quest for knowledge starting at Arizona State University.  

-          BAAVANA BALAJI