Switching from Engineering BS to Communication MA

Hello.

I have been planning to apply for MA in Communication in USA this fall, majorly. But I have also targeted one or two Mass Communication programs.

One of my biggest worries is that I have neither academic nor professional background in this sector. To mention my related extra-curricular activities, I'll say that I have been involved with an online writing platform (kind of a blog, sadly not an English one) for 4 to 5 years as a contributor, editor (for blog posts, the occasional ebooks and the only book we've published) etc. I have several published articles (English ones) in newspapers/websites, but all are small news-piece like, nothing noteworthy. So not only that my experience is not really that much high profile, but I also don't have any undergraduate thesis paper or valuable piece of academic writing that I can present as a writing sample to those admission committees that ask for lengthy writing samples. I can give them translation of one lengthy blog post of mine, which was serious and sort of analytical but surely not as formal as an academic writing sample, but I am not sure whether such informal blog kind of article are acceptable as a writing sample. Or do they only want to check how well you write? I need the answer because cutting off programs that require writing sample is shortening the list of programs I can target.

Other than the above, here's my profile:

Undergrad: civil engineering
Undergrad marks: 65%
Publications: none
Work experience: 4 months in a non-profit (didn't do anything significant there), 8 months in an engineering firm
GRE: quant 167 verbal 161 analytical 5
IELTS: reading 8 listening 8 speaking 7.5 writing 7
TOEFL: reading 29 listening 30 speaking 22 writing 30
LOR: From undergrad professors (engineering and some humanities courses) and maybe from my employer who is also an engineer, and one from the social service organisation's head I've worked in for years who is also a communications grad. I can also get one from my blog co-ordinator but not sure whether that'd be of much value.

I want to apply to programs that requires a thesis for the masters degree and provides full financial support to some students. The primary list of universities that fine tune with my profile and requirements (no writing sample, provides full funding to some students)

1. Ohio State University (though I think I need to take this out of the list as they require 28 on TOEFL speaking)
2. University of Wisconsin Madison (not sure about the possibility of financial support)
3. University of Missouri Columbia
4. Virginia Tech
5. University of Maryland College Park
6. Pennsylvania State University
7. University of Massachussettes Amherst
8. Ohio University
9. University of Nebraska Lincoln
10. University of South Carolina
11. University of Tennesse Knoxville
12. Temple University (Development Communication)

Can you please give your opinion on my probability of getting funded admission in each of these? I don't think I'll be applying to this many programs and opt for 7 to 8 at most, so I need to make my list more defined, by taking away some names and adding some new ones.

I don't know anything about the programs you listed, but that doesn't mean that you can't be funded in the right program. My MS is in Emergency Management and Homeland Security and I am fully funded where I'm at. What will help you the most is determining which program(s) are best for you and writing clear letters explaining why you are applying and how your experience will lead you to succeed where you are applying.

Good luck!

Getting MA funding from Penn State and Wisconsin would be very unlikely. UMASS only funds about 2 masters students each year. I am not sure about the other programs though... You have quite a list of programs with very different specialities. Do you know more specifically what you want to study? Programs will want to know this especially if they are funding you. 

Hello.

I have been planning to apply for MA in Communication in USA this fall, majorly. But I have also targeted one or two Mass Communication programs.

One of my biggest worries is that I have neither academic nor professional background in this sector. To mention my related extra-curricular activities, I'll say that I have been involved with an online writing platform (kind of a blog, sadly not an English one) for 4 to 5 years as a contributor, editor (for blog posts, the occasional ebooks and the only book we've published) etc. I have several published articles (English ones) in newspapers/websites, but all are small news-piece like, nothing noteworthy. So not only that my experience is not really that much high profile, but I also don't have any undergraduate thesis paper or valuable piece of academic writing that I can present as a writing sample to those admission committees that ask for lengthy writing samples. I can give them translation of one lengthy blog post of mine, which was serious and sort of analytical but surely not as formal as an academic writing sample, but I am not sure whether such informal blog kind of article are acceptable as a writing sample. Or do they only want to check how well you write? I need the answer because cutting off programs that require writing sample is shortening the list of programs I can target.

Other than the above, here's my profile:

Undergrad: civil engineering
Undergrad marks: 65%
Publications: none
Work experience: 4 months in a non-profit (didn't do anything significant there), 8 months in an engineering firm
GRE: quant 167 verbal 161 analytical 5
IELTS: reading 8 listening 8 speaking 7.5 writing 7
TOEFL: reading 29 listening 30 speaking 22 writing 30
LOR: From undergrad professors (engineering and some humanities courses) and maybe from my employer who is also an engineer, and one from the social service organisation's head I've worked in for years who is also a communications grad. I can also get one from my blog co-ordinator but not sure whether that'd be of much value.

I want to apply to programs that requires a thesis for the masters degree and provides full financial support to some students. The primary list of universities that fine tune with my profile and requirements (no writing sample, provides full funding to some students)

1. Ohio State University (though I think I need to take this out of the list as they require 28 on TOEFL speaking)
2. University of Wisconsin Madison (not sure about the possibility of financial support)
3. University of Missouri Columbia
4. Virginia Tech
5. University of Maryland College Park
6. Pennsylvania State University
7. University of Massachussettes Amherst
8. Ohio University
9. University of Nebraska Lincoln
10. University of South Carolina
11. University of Tennesse Knoxville
12. Temple University (Development Communication)

Can you please give your opinion on my probability of getting funded admission in each of these? I don't think I'll be applying to this many programs and opt for 7 to 8 at most, so I need to make my list more defined, by taking away some names and adding some new ones.

Hi. Is it UMass Amherst or Wisconsin that funds 2 students each year? Because according to UMass website, they fund all of their students.

In fact, my area of interest is Communication Technology. But I found only a handful of programs that somehow connects to my profile/interest/funds etc (apparently I have a list of criteria), which is why the list is so diverse. But I understand that I need to keep my statements focused.

Penn State was my top choice, so it definitely is bad news for me that they don't fund students much.

Why are you switching to Comm?  What do you plan to do after with the MA?  Do you have a sense of what about tech/comm you're interested in?

I am switching mainly because this field interests me and I don't want to continue my studies in engineering. I am mostly interested in research based careers so currently my plan is to go for doctoral degree after my masters. In fact, I am opting for an MA because I lack enough background in this area which is needed for applying to PhD (for example, I don't have any scholarly article or research work relevant to Comm). To be honest, I am not that focused yet but I want to work in the area of Communication Technology.

Hi. Is it UMass Amherst or Wisconsin that funds 2 students each year? Because according to UMass website, they fund all of their students.

In fact, my area of interest is Communication Technology. But I found only a handful of programs that somehow connects to my profile/interest/funds etc (apparently I have a list of criteria), which is why the list is so diverse. But I understand that I need to keep my statements focused.

Penn State was my top choice, so it definitely is bad news for me that they don't fund students much.

Hi! 

Funding in general at Wisconsin is a mess due to the state government. From what I know, UMASS does fund all of their MA and PhD students, BUT their masters cohort is usually only 2-3 students... That's what I meant about that.

Penn State has great funding for PhD. students. All doctoral students receive an assistantship or fellowship. Unfortunately, funding at the masters level is limited, so very few MA students receive an assistantship. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply, but it's something to keep in mind. If you have specific questions about Penn State, feel free to private message me (I am a student there.) 

As a general rule it's tough to get great funding for an MA at a top rated Ph.D granting institution.  The other problem is that many faculty at these types of places will be focusing their time on their Ph.D advisees.  I'm not saying that you can't get funding and good advising at a top comm ph.d program, I'm just saying that you ought to think about going to a standalone MA program as well.  

On 10/30/2015, 11:53:47, GG said:

I am switching mainly because this field interests me and I don't want to continue my studies in engineering. I am mostly interested in research based careers so currently my plan is to go for doctoral degree after my masters. In fact, I am opting for an MA because I lack enough background in this area which is needed for applying to PhD (for example, I don't have any scholarly article or research work relevant to Comm). To be honest, I am not that focused yet but I want to work in the area of Communication Technology.

You should check out Info Science programs too.  UMSI has a great program and some MA candidates get fully funded.  I've got more thoughts.  Feel free to DM me.