Math/Econ Requirements for Policy PhDs

Officer05

I don't know if this has been discussed elsewhere as I could not find any. The title speaks for itself. What level of Math and Econ are required for policy PhDs vis-a-vis traditional Poli Sci PhDs. I have seen several programs including Harvard PubPol insist on multivariable calculus and Micro/Macro Econ. My first degree was a BA Hons in Poli Sci which covered no math/econ at all though my masters had international economics and IR. I have seen Policy PhD dissertations tilt more towards Econ than Pol Sci. I have research experience foreign policy work exp. back home. Can this offset the math requirements for a policy PhD.

• 2 weeks later...

There's huge variance in what a policy PhD is and what they want for admissions.  Many "policy" programs are more heavily influenced by economics - e.g., you'll be expected to go through an econometrics sequence similar to one in an econ PhD program and possibly a microeconomics sequence.  The bare minimum to do this would be linear algebra and multivariable calculus (with some programs stating additional requirements).  On the other side of the spectrum, somewhere like Tufts offers a "policy" PhD with lower math expectations than your average political science PhD program.  So, you really do have to look up the specifics.