What are my chances?

MrsH

Hi everyone! Applying for Fall 2016 Speech Language Pathology programs. I graduated five years ago with a bachelors in Journalism and a minor in Speech Communication - 3.18 overall GPA. While I am applying as a "without a background" applicant, I did go back to school to complete some of the pre-requisites (stats, phonetics, etc.); and looks like after a year back in school, I'll finish with a 3.4 overall GPA. However, I did withdraw from a class this semester as I accepted a research assistant position and am doing observation hours on the on-campus clinic, in addition to the internship I've had for about a year now.  

I did take the GRE, and honestly didn't do so well and plan on retaking it. My scores at the end of the exam were 147 verbal, and 142 quantitative. Do not have my writing score yet. 

Was anyone in a similar situation, and got in? If so, to which schools? Preferably, would like to stay in the East Coast. 

Thank you so much! 

Edited by MrsH

Yes, you can get into grad school if you apply smartly. I would go to EdFind (http://www.asha.org/edfind/) and look at all the schools in locations you are willing to live in. If you are willing to move and/or pay a lot of money for your degree you will be able to get in somewhere. I think it is a good idea to retake the GRE, especially with your grades. Many schools have cutoffs of combined 300, but I would aim for a 310. 

Schools also put a greater emphasis on the last 60 credit hours (usually) and the prerequisites (the ones that are through the COMD department). I had a 3.1 GPA from my first undergrad, and a 3.6 for my postbac year, and I have been accepted to one school and was just invited to an interview at another. I applied for spring admit, which is why I have already heard. 

Check out this thread: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/49929-fall-2014-less-competitive-grad-programs-applicants-thread/

Thank you so much for your reply @curly_girl! Can I please ask where you applied? 

I am retaking the GRE in a few weeks. As for the pre-reqs, will only have Phonetics and Speech and Language Development under my belt, the others ASHA requirements. 

Thanks again for your help! Appreciate it! And huge congrats on your acceptance! 

Thank you so much for your reply @curly_girl! Can I please ask where you applied? 

I am retaking the GRE in a few weeks. As for the pre-reqs, will only have Phonetics and Speech and Language Development under my belt, the others ASHA requirements. 

Thanks again for your help! Appreciate it! And huge congrats on your acceptance! 

You are welcome! And thank you!

I only applied to three schools in the US (and a couple abroad): Appalachian State, University of Central Missouri, and Valdosta State. I was going to apply to more schools in the US, but I was accepted to Central Missouri really early and realized that I would rather go to Central Missouri than the other schools I was going to apply to.

FYI, I forgot to mention it before, but you should probably call (or at least email) the schools you are interested in. The stats don't tell the the whole story, and calling the schools can give you insight on how they select applicants. You can also ask if in the past they have accepted applicants with similar stats to you.

Good luck!