Is a 4.0 on a 4.3 scale still a 4.0?

StrongTackleBacarySagna

Let's say a school sees that you have a 4.0 GPA on your transcript, but your school uses a 4.3 scale (where an A+ is a 4.3), do you think they scale it down to about a 3.7? Or do they still treat it as a 4.0 relative to other GPAs on a 4.0 scale? In other words, do they actually care about pluses and minuses, or do they only care that you got straight A's (even though you technically could have done better)?

I went to a school that uses a 4.3 system.  I don't think they'll scale it down, but it'll stay relative  to a 4.0 scale. If you did get A+s, that might help them evaluate what you're particularly good at, but I don't think they'd penalize you (give you a 3.7) simply because of the grading scale (of which you have no control over). In addition, it's unrealistic to expect a student to get an a+ in every single class they take (not to say it can't be done), especially since some professors could also be reticent in giving a+'s, so questioning the validity of the scale can be a slippery slope. They'll see the transcripts determine what your strengths are from that. 

I applied to a school that had a 4.3 scale when my transcript was on a 4.0. They asked me to re-calculate it using this excel file they provided. If your transcript has percentage grades, they'll probably look at how the marks are awarded and scale appropriately, so if your 4.0 still meets their 4.0 cut-off, it should be fine.

Generally to convert to a 4.0 scale from a 4.3 you just count the A+'s as A's. So if you only got A's then you'd have a 4.0/4.0. However, if you have half A+'s and half A-'s, it would then be a 3.85/4.00. Hopefully that makes sense. All other grades stay the same, so you would not scale by 4/4.3.

Edited by Edotdl

I think so. I think ASU uses 4.3 scale for A+, but you have to get like a 98% or something like that (typically). Sure some students will have a slightly inflated GPA, but it's nothing like the high school kids with their silly 4.8 GPAs.

Edit: They can read your transcripts anyway. I don't think schools usually want you to do your own calculations.

Edited by svent

I think so. I think ASU uses 4.3 scale for A+, but you have to get like a 98% or something like that (typically). Sure some students will have a slightly inflated GPA, but it's nothing like the high school kids with their silly 4.8 GPAs.

Edit: They can read your transcripts anyway. I don't think schools usually want you to do your own calculations.

Most of my programs actually asked me to report my GPA on a 4.0 scale so I converted as I explained above. If you're really worried, you could always just email the school, but generally I don't think it'll change your GPA too much (if you have a 4.3, I'm sorry for your loss). It's not like you're subtracting 0.3 or anything.