Applying for photo mfa...what schools?

mbadger

So, I'm applying to several schools for photo mfa in Jan.ish. I'm trying to narrow down my choices of schools. What do you consider schools with really great fine art oriented photo programs? Especially those that might throw some cash someone's way. So far I'm considering: University of houston (close by and they actually have a great program and are really great with offering great packages), University of Texas at Austin and University of Washington at Seattle (Haven't heard much on these schools...but I heard it's great to go somewhere you want to live with a great art scene), CalArts (my prof suggested), School of the Art Institute of Chicago, San Francisco Art Institute, Massachusetts College of Art, Parsons, Bard College- ICP, and School of Visual Arts

I know that's a long, random list...but anyone have opinions or feedback on the quality and/or accessibility of any of those schools/locations? Or have any recommendations on other great fine-art photo mfa programs? Any info would be great!

also...Rutgers??

I got accepted to rutgers and then deferred it until this coming spring. I am really unsure of the program and i didnt put my best foot forward(yet got accepted). I also did not receive any funding. I am almost completely set on not going to a school that will put me more than 15k in debt. I find it outrageous for an art degree to cost 50k+. I Heard from an instructor at the school i got my undergrad at that rutgers was a good school. Their website is not very impressive but I do like how close it is to NY.

• 2 months later...

I got accepted to rutgers and then deferred it until this coming spring. I am really unsure of the program and i didnt put my best foot forward(yet got accepted). I also did not receive any funding. I am almost completely set on not going to a school that will put me more than 15k in debt. I find it outrageous for an art degree to cost 50k+. I Heard from an instructor at the school i got my undergrad at that rutgers was a good school. Their website is not very impressive but I do like how close it is to NY.

So, I'm applying to several schools for photo mfa in Jan.ish. I'm trying to narrow down my choices of schools. What do you consider schools with really great fine art oriented photo programs? Especially those that might throw some cash someone's way. So far I'm considering: University of houston (close by and they actually have a great program and are really great with offering great packages), University of Texas at Austin and University of Washington at Seattle (Haven't heard much on these schools...but I heard it's great to go somewhere you want to live with a great art scene), CalArts (my prof suggested), School of the Art Institute of Chicago, San Francisco Art Institute, Massachusetts College of Art, Parsons, Bard College- ICP, and School of Visual Arts

I know that's a long, random list...but anyone have opinions or feedback on the quality and/or accessibility of any of those schools/locations? Or have any recommendations on other great fine-art photo mfa programs? Any info would be great!

SFAI, SAIC, Bard and Parsons are great schools. (I kinda like them in that order, too.lol.)

I think what's funny about this forum is that people want to know opinions about what schools are "better". I am a firm believer that faculty and what work is coming out of the program supersedes the so-called reputation. (Hey, snobby RISD, I'm talking to you...) After researching many photo programs...I, of course, loved Yale, Columbia and New Mexico. But, my husband is going for his Phd and debt was a huge factor for us. Moving was not an option, because now is not the time to sell our home. So...in the end I chose some great local programs. I met with faculty and I really like my choices...It's a very personal decision.

I almost applied to SFAI, but the money is what stopped me. It's pretty expensive to go there...my friend who is a Photo major there says they aren't great with giving aid. But...legends like Larry Sultan built that program up. Great school!

I applied to VCU, MICA and GMU for local schools and Boston and MECA for their low-residency options.

So...We'll see what happens. rolleyes.gif

Best of luck to you! ;) I am biting my nails, too.