GRE test

UmmF

Hi everyone,  I'm new here and I could really use some advice.

I studied for the GRE for about 6 months and all I came out with is 141 and 144 which are very depressing scores. I want to apply to Ph.D Pharmacology and these scores are not up to the minimum scores. I want retake the test first week in January (that's like 2months of studing) so, I could use some advice and guidelines to improve my score drastically. Thanks y'all.

Well, if you've been studying for 6 months and still receiving scores in that range would suggest to me that you're not studying correctly or in a way that is effective for you. Would it be possible for you to take a prep class? I know a lot of people on here look down upon them but honestly, I took one this summer and I managed to raise my scores considerably compared to when I was studying on my own. 

Hi UmmF,

I'd like to know more about your studies so far and your deadlines:

1) You say that you studied for 6 months, but what was your 'routine?' How many hours did you study during a typical week? Did you have a consistent schedule or did you just study when you had the time?

2) What practice resources did you use?

3) What are the application deadlines for the Programs that you're considering?

Thankfully, the GRE is a predictable, standardized Test, so you CAN train to score at a higher level.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich

Thank you so much for your replies. 

To answer your questions;

I would agree that I probably was not studying the right way because the score I had was very much lower compared to what I always had after every practice. 

I would definitely love to attend a prep class but I don't have much cash. I'm sure it would be expensive but if you could suggest anyone in Chicago,  I can check it out to see if it would be possible. 

I barely had much time to study during the day so I was basically studing when I had the time. Let's say average of 2-3 hours everyday. I rarely studied during the weekends. 

I started with the 20th edition of Barron's gre, and then used the online Manhattan 5lb book I downloaded,  studied the ets official guide on their website, studied Kaplan that I also downloaded (verbal), magoosh vocabulary app, and finally ets official power prep.

Finally,  the deadlines are between January to April.  The longer it takes to get the scores right, the lesser the chances of getting into a program by 2016 fall.

Thank you once again. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi UmmF,

From what you've described, your studies were inconsistent and 'book-heavy.' Many Test Takers have trouble scoring at a really high level when studying in this way, so some big adjustments to your study routine are going to be necessary. As such, you'll likely want to invest in some new non-book resources. 

1) What is your score goal? Do you have an idea of what score would make you a competitive applicant at the Program(s) you're considering?

Rich

Hi UmmF,

To hit your goal score, you're going to have to make some significant improvements to BOTH your Quant and Verbal Scores. Since you weren't able to get to that higher level studying on your own, you're likely going to need a GRE Course of some type (either Guided Self-Study or instructor-led). Given everything that you've described, I think that you would find the EMPOWERgre Total Score Booster Study Plan to be quite helpful. Most of our Clients can complete that Study Plan in under 2 months, so it should fit your timeframe. We have a variety of free resources at our website (www.empowergre.com) that you can use to 'test out' the Course before you set up a full Account.

If you have any additional questions, then just let me know.

Rich