Penn GSE 2016

phillyhed

Hi!

I got an email a few hours ago notifying me that my decision was available. (Ed Policy MSEd)

I logged on from my phone and in 'Manage My Account' I found a tab where I could see my decision (Accepted with scholarship). 

But when I got to my laptop to see it, the decision tab wasn't there anymore. And now it isn't there on my mobile browser either. I took a screenshot of my acceptance letter on my phone earlier, so I'm sure I wasn't dreaming it...

Did anyone else experience this?

(I emailed them, hopefully I'll hear back soon)

Edited by Shreyaa

6 hours ago, dear_valentine07 said:

accepted to Ed Policy. @heather1011, where did you find out about the admit day? is it overlapping with HGSE?

They sent me an email "Save the date!" a few weeks ago and just got the invitation to RSVP yesterday.  It sort of does overlap with HGSE... but I'm making it work.  Penn's Day is Saturday, and HGSE has program-specific events on either Friday or Monday (I think Monday for Ed Policy).  So I'm going to HGSE on Friday and Penn on Saturday.  Unfortunately that means I have to miss HGSE's IEP Conference and other events going on that Sunday.

1 hour ago, teppeice said:

Finally heard from Penn! Got accepted into the IEDP program! Unfortunately they only gave me $5000 scholarship, which makes attending Penn quite difficult.. 

Congrats and so glad you finally heard back!!  Penn is certainly the priciest... I'm hoping to get the FLAS which would cut another $33K off tuition...

On 3/9/2016 at 7:19 PM, teppeice said:

Finally heard from Penn! Got accepted into the IEDP program! Unfortunately they only gave me $5000 scholarship, which makes attending Penn quite difficult.. 

Did you get that email about applying for GA?  It's only a little bit more money, but definitely worth trying for.

On 3/9/2016 at 1:19 AM, teppeice said:

On 3/10/2016 at 2:45 AM, Heather1011 said:

Did you get that email about applying for GA?  It's only a little bit more money, but definitely worth trying for.

Yes and on that note, the GA is only 5 hours/wk of work (which is why the amount is small, but it's quite a good hourly rate, I think, if you calculate it), so you can still work in other jobs. I don't know if they redistribute scholarship money but I will likely decline mine, for the same reason. 

1 hour ago, marature said:

Yes and on that note, the GA is only 5 hours/wk of work (which is why the amount is small, but it's quite a good hourly rate, I think, if you calculate it), so you can still work in other jobs. I don't know if they redistribute scholarship money but I will likely decline mine, for the same reason. 

It's definitely a good rate!  Hopefully it's not secretly more time-consuming.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Heather1011 said:

Thanks, I had seen this before, but most of it is only for after you've already enrolled to get business started.  I meant for pre-matriculation, I think. 

Ah, your specific program should be contacting you about pre enrollment information and any events around the Preview event, classes, assistantships, etc The Higher Ed program has sent us information about applying for assistantships, the course schedule, etc..Have you heard back about your scholarship app yet? Fingers crossed for you. ^_^

1 hour ago, Dracos said:

Ah, your specific program should be contacting you about pre enrollment information and any events around the Preview event, classes, assistantships, etc The Higher Ed program has sent us information about applying for assistantships, the course schedule, etc..Have you heard back about your scholarship app yet? Fingers crossed for you. ^_^

Yes, IEDP has sent me a lot of information and GA application.  No news on the FLAS yet, they said "April"...

On March 8, 2016 at 7:19 PM, teppeice said:

Congrats!!! Same program!!

I got a wonderful vibe from current students and professors today, and Penn seems like a very nurturing place.  The only weird part was when, completely unprovoked (no one had asked this), the professor said that Harvard has better career placement services and that Penn GSE has to work on that.  

1 hour ago, Heather1011 said:

I got a wonderful vibe from current students and professors today, and Penn seems like a very nurturing place.  The only weird part was when, completely unprovoked (no one had asked this), the professor said that Harvard has better career placement services and that Penn GSE has to work on that.  

So, are you decided to go to Harvard?? After today, I think I turn down TC and will go to Penn! Love Penn so much! How lovely and friendly cohort it is !!!

9 hours ago, Young1008 said:

So, are you decided to go to Harvard?? After today, I think I turn down TC and will go to Penn! Love Penn so much! How lovely and friendly cohort it is !!!

Yes, I'm going to Harvard.  I thought Penn was VERY lovely and friendly, and I know I'd be happy there... but I think I will like HGSE even more!  I was just really amazed by all the people. 

That's great for both of you. I can't wait to be in your shoes next year. @Heather1011 Did getting (or not getting?) the FLAS factor into your decision? It's a lot of money!

Edited by GlobNomad
didn't tag someone

4 minutes ago, GlobNomad said:

That's great for both of you. I can't wait to be in your shoes next year. @Heather1011 Did getting (or not getting?) the FLAS factor into your decision? It's a lot of money!

This may be crazy, but I ultimately decided to enroll at HGSE without knowing about the FLAS yet.  Although I will hear back possibly in the next few days, I decided that even yes, that enormous sum, could not convince me to turn down the opportunities I saw at HGSE.  I'm also in a fortunate position where I will not need to take out many loans at HGSE, so even though it was the difference between basically a free ride and a little bit of loans, I am making the decision to opt for the little bit of loans.  A few months ago I would have thought this was foolish, but what I saw available to me at HGSE far outweighed what I saw at Penn!

Also, I think Penn's biggest draw was the internship.  I was discussing this with another guy who was also at both HGSE and Penn Open Houses this weekend for IED/IEP, and he was very undecided still, but he pointed out that the $15K+ difference in tuition between Penn and HGSE, and the $3300 stipend Penn affords you for the internship, basically means that you're paying $12K for an internship, whereas if you go to HGSE you'll just be back in the job force and actually earning money at the same time Penn's internship would be happening.  Food for my thought, anyway.  Most IEPers at HGSE had several internships going on, often with UNESCO and the same organizations that Penn promises to pair you with.  They're just doing it concurrently with their classes, and can then go and get a job in June.

Edited by Heather1011