American student applying to UK school...

I was deeply disappointed with how few universities in the United States offered Masters in Human Rights. Conversely, the UK has a lot of them. One of them in particular, the Masters in Human Rights and Genocide from Kingston University in London, really appeals to me. After reading up on it sufficiently, I decided to embark on the application process. I thought that since it was in English it couldn't be THAT hard. I was wrong. I have no idea what I'm doing. No idea where to include information that I consider important but they have no sections for, and to what degree I should explain things such as GPAs, certificates, local organizations, double majors, minors, President's List, Dean's List, etc.

Also, what do they mean by the 'result' of my degree. The drop down menu only offers First Class, 2.1, 2.2, Second Class, Pass, Fail, etc. Nothing that I'm familiar with.

They also say that if the degree is from a non-UK institution to prove that it is equivalent to a UK degree. How do I go about doing that?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I did my research Master in the UK. Before I applied I contact a professor whom I wanted to work with and she said I was eligible for their Master by Research program. I suggest you contact the faculty members to see where you stand.

BTW - are you applying for the taught or research master? The taught master is fairly easy to get in.

I wouldn't worry about explaining common things like GPAs, double majors, minors, etc., or proving that your degree is equivalent to theirs. I did my Masters in the UK (I'm Canadian) and the admissions office was definitely used to American students and their qualifications. Another thing to note is that many UK schools don't get flooded with applications in the same way as American ones do, and so you can definitely call the graduate secretary of your department (or whoever keeps track of applications) and ask all these questions - they will almost certainly have time for you. I found the whole process to be more personal than American schools.

• 3 weeks later...

I studied abroad at the University of Oxford as an undergraduate so I am familiar with the UK system. The results of your degree are sort of like your GPA. Here's the translation from my transcript, word for word.

Degree Class US Equivalent

I [First] A+ to A

II(i) [2.1] A- to B+

II(ii) [2.2] B to B-

III C+ to C

Pass C-

Fail No grade

Typically, a first class is a 3.6 or above. A second class (2.1) is a 3.3-3.5. A second class (2.2) is a 3.0-3.3. And so on. It's very difficult to convert since the systems are so different.

As for the application form itself, just put all of your awards on your resume rather than on the application form itself. And highlight all relevant stuff in your essay to make it clear how important it was to your academic success. Eucalyptus is right, UK universities are very familiar with the American system and generally much more personable. If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message!

I did my masters at the LSE and they required an upper second (2.1) which they said was equivalent to a 3.5 in the US GPA system. Cambridge said they required a 2.1 or 3.7 so I would say it probably works out to between 3.5-3.7 for an upper second and 3.7+ for a first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I've submitted my applications for LSE and UCL. I didn't need to really explain anything other than submit what they asked for. I think all, if not most, admissions in the UK know the American standards pretty well. I've already received an unofficial acceptance email from a department chair at UCL without asking further explanation of my application! Gotta love the European rolling admission!

best of luck to you!

Wendy

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

I've submitted my applications for LSE and UCL. I didn't need to really explain anything other than submit what they asked for. I think all, if not most, admissions in the UK know the American standards pretty well. I've already received an unofficial acceptance email from a department chair at UCL without asking further explanation of my application! Gotta love the European rolling admission!

best of luck to you!

Wendy

Hi,

I am in the process of applying to LSE/UCL for Public Policy and I was wondering if you would be willing to share your stats (GPA,GRE etc)to get an idea if I have even have a shot! Thanks!

Hello!

best of luck to you!

Wendy

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I realize this is an old thread but maybe one of you can help:

I'm in the middle of an application to UCL Econ department. I'm starting to get nervous that I'm kind of waisting my time. I graduated with a double major (international relations and economics) from Boston University with a 3.5 GPA, and 3.6 in my Econ and math courses. I also did a study abroad semester at LSE, studing environmental economics. So yeah I think I have a pretty good resume but I know UCL is a great school so I'm a bit nervous. Anyone know if I'm waisting my time? THANKS!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback Anzaria! I just finished my app a few weeks ago so now I'm just waiting.

I have another question now, though. As American universities don't commonly do rolling admissions I'm not entirely sure how long I expect to wait. Anyone have an example or know of someone who applied to UCL and knows how long the wait actually was? Thanks! Waiting is the hardest part....

Once you receive a letter or email that your application is complete, it shouldn't take that long. What happens is that (as with the US universities) your application must be checked by the graduate school (this is centralized) before a relevant faculty member can see it and makes the decision. It takes some time for the graduate school to do this. Once this process is complete, your application will be forwarded to a relevant department, some universities use internal computerized system while others still print out your application form and your supporting documents and forward them to a relevant department via internal mail.

Once the decision is made, if successful, the program administrator (from your department) emails you. If they need additional information such as they might ask you to do a simple entrance exam, an admission tutor will email you directly. What happens now is that your department processes your file and sends it back to the graduate school that does the final check and sends you an official conditional offer letter. Once you receive it, you have to send the graduate school your original transcript(s) to get an unconditional offer letter. You then need the university to issue the CAS number for your visa application. The international office can't do this if you don't have an unconditional offer letter.

Have you asked this question on studentroom.com, UK-based students forum? You can probably find people who are applying to the same program there. Generally speaking, they make the decision within 4 weeks of the receipt of the complete application.

To add.

You need the CAS number by August (the latest) for your visa application. The university starts issuing CAS numbers to admitted students from May (I think). Once the CAS is in, all you need is to show that you have got enough money to live for a year (the tuition fee and the cost of living). Once you get in, do speak with the international office. Just call them. The visa regulations have changed significantly over the last 5 years.

• 1 month later...

I hope this isn't too late. I was going to apply for the University of Warwick and Nottingham in Mathematical Biology. However, I emailed some of the advisors/graduate secretaries and told me that my competition will have more classes than I do and a completed degree. ( I'm only 3-4 class away from completing a second bachelors/major). My gpa is kind of horrible and I have no research experience. I really want to go to those schools because the programs are only one year long, much cheaper, and I get to live abroad away from the hustle and bustle of the east coast.

Is anyone in my shoes and applied already? I have a GPA of 3.2 and GRE of 160/Q, 154/V, 4.5 AW.