Student Loan Without a Cosigner

Unimpressed3D

I don't even know if I'll need one, but I'm trying to see what my options are, just to stave off fears of not being able to attend at all. I haven't even looked into grants and scholarships. I know it might be shooting myself in the foot, but I'm coming out of a dark place in my life, and just need to reassure myself that grad school is possible at all. I realize, too, that I might get a terrible interest rate and all the rest. I still just need to know that it's a last-resort option. What I'm finding on the internet so far seems...slightly suspect to me. I wonder if some of these companies are even legit. I'm planning to visit my university's financial aid office, but it was no help at my old college.

I have a 4.0, did AmeriCorps and service-learning, and I just had a paper accepted at a conference, but I also have (quite a few) W's on my transcript due to ongoing health problems. I don't know what my chances are of getting funding at that rate. I don't know if it's realistic or not, but I just find it hard to believe I have a chance in the competition.

I mean, you'd be able to take out unsubsidized Stafford loans pretty easily, but that's because almost everyone can unless you've had a felony conviction or didn't register for the draft. That said, the interest rate on Stafford loans is pretty high right now in comparison to other loan options. But, private student loans may want a co-signer or for you to offer some sort of property as collateral...

Thanks. I did know about that one, sorry I didn't mention it. I've actually already taken one out for undergrad study, and yes, the interest rate is pretty high. However, I'm willing to take that on, because right now, I don't see any other way to go forward. I've heard there are other types of unsub government loans, too, but for some reason, I wasn't offered any. Maybe they're offered for grad students? I will look into federal options, though, thanks for the reminder...

The other option is a GradPLUS loan but the terms are less favorable than those of a Stafford loan. There used to be Perkins loans but Congress recently eliminated the program.

As an undergrad, you probably got offered subsidized Stafford loans. Congress eliminated those for graduate students a few years ago.