Rangel & Pickering Fellowship

kbui

@kbui Thanks for that insight! I really appreciate it. I'm definitely looking into it but a $900 roundtrip flight added to my credit card sounds ridiculously brutal right now. I'm still paying off application fees that I paid for with that baby (I applied to 8 programs...) and I don't have a salary right now as I'm currently volunteering & studying a language. I called Pickering today and the person that I spoke with said that several other Skype interviews have been confirmed, and they've definitely had Skype candidates get selected for the fellowship. It's definitely a risk and one I'm not eager to take. But we'll see. No decisions yet!

@ennkay Yeah, I can imagine. It's a big financial commitment, for sure. But if people have already registered for a Skype interview, it doesn't seem all that disadvantaged for people who aren't showing up in person. For me, my personality shows much better when people can feel my positive energy and I have not had much luck over Skype interviews in that regard. And meeting other fellows were also a very big positive for me, and that wouldn't've been possible with a Skype interview. You get to go eat dinner, or debrief, or hang out with them throughout the day and you get to make some really interesting friends and hear a lot of fun stories.

Either way, I think that if you prepared correctly, you will be a stellar finalist no matter the interview format.

I'd happily join a google hangout.

Folks, word of warning, if you get one of these fellowships, the medical clearance is so tough! I am trying to get all my records from all doctors and it's driving me craaazy. I thought the security clearance was enough.

@GlobalUp @ZebraFinch @jrdnmadrid @kbui Sorry to be late in jumping on this, but I'd also be interested in jumping on the G-Hangout! @ZebraFinch I just messaged you before seeing the updates on this thread so feel free to ignore that if you're going to be on the G-Hangout. 11 am CST works for me, that's nighttime over here so that's perfect.

Tomorrow I'll create the link and post it. Be back in this thread and be on a computer with a stable internet connection and with audio and webcam capabilities.

Can't wait!

Either way is fine. I could do 2 pm CST but 2:15 or 2:30 CST would be better. I have another video meeting that's supposed to end right at 2 pm CST.  I'd love to have @ZebraFinch on it if possible since they've already been through the process but happy to speak with other Pickering candidates either way!

Shoot, that's a bummer. I don't think I'll be able to make it at 2 p.m. CST since that's 4 in the morning for me and I need to be functional at work tomorrow. :( Any chance of getting to a different computer, @kbui? I'd really love to hear about your experience getting the Payne as well as @ZebraFinch's getting the Pickering. 

Edited by GlobalUp

@ZebraFinch, thanks so much for your hosting! Your tips and insight into the selection and clearance processes were amazing. :)

To everyone else on the call, it was wonderful to see you on the webcam. Looking forward to seeing you all in person soon! Best of luck to everybody! 

April 26 and 27. I'm on the 26th. Kind of annoying since I've had to request enrollment notification extensions from all the programs I'm accepted into, but totally worth it if it works out.