Declining grad trend?

Edotdl

I'm a bit worried about my GPA trend. I am applying to phd programs this fall for Fall 2016 admissions. I transferred to my current institution last year and obtained a 4.0 first semester and a 3.8 second semester (I had a 4.0 at my old school, if that makes a difference). I'm not sure how well I'm going to do this semester, hopefully in the 3.8-4.0 range still but I've been pretty busy juggling classes and applications. I was wondering how much these trends really matter given that they are still relatively high and that most schools will not see this semester's grade (ie they just see 4.0->3.8 and not a continued fall, in the worse case scenario). Maybe looking for some confirmation that I'll be fine or some motivation to work harder, either would be fine.

Edited by Edotdl

If I saw a 4.0 one semester then a 3.8 another semester, I would just conclude that your typical GPA is about 3.8-4.0. Especially if your third semester is also 3.8-4.0. I don't think I would ever distinguish between a 3.8 GPA and a 4.0 GPA because I don't personally see a big difference between A and A-. This is from my experience awarding grades and from my experience receiving grades. 

You're seriously sweating the difference between a 3.8 and a 4.0 (so between A and A-)? Wow, you need more stuff to do! It seriously is not a big deal. I rarely give As to undergraduates so, to me, a 3.8 is about as good as it can get.