What are my chances?

Afe

Hi everyone. I'm a Nigerian who's applying to the M.T.S/M.A.R in Biblical Studies at Notre Dame and Yale Divinity School. Just wanted to know if you guys think I have any chances at getting accepted by either of them. I have a First Class in Religious Studies (including Biblical Studies courses) from a well regarded university in Nigeria, and a year of teaching experience Christian Religious Studies at a high school. I'll be writing the GRE very soon (although I'm not confident of my ability to perform well as I have very little preparation and not a whole lot of resources to get by). I've posted my statement of purpose on the designated forum but I was hoping that I could get someone on this forum to read it, along with my writing sample, perhaps via personal message. I know these schools are very competitive and hard to get into so I'm really scared about my chances, especially in ND. Does anyone know of the acceptance rate for Africans in these programs? Can anyone here help me out, please???

Sorry for the long post. It's just that I'm really nervous. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Edited by Afe
Typographical error

Hi, Afe. 

I understand that you're nervous. The whole process is unnerving, especially for international students (I am an international student myself, from a Third World country in Latin America). I would advise you to contact a professor at Notre Dame or any other university that you're interested in and ask them directly about how compelling your profile is. Make sure to include how many hours/semesters of languages' studies you have. I've had a good experience with Dr. John Fitzgerald in answering my questions about their program. 

Most of all, don't give up! I'll be praying for you.

Hi Samuau,

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'll do as you've advised. And I'll be praying for you as well. 

All the best.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, TTG49 said:

Hi Afe,

It sounds like you have a good foundation. Do you have any experience already in ancient languages, and would you focus on Hebrew Bible or New Testament?

Hi TTG49,

Thanks for your response, 

I have two semesters each of Greek and Hebrew, plus I did four NT exegesis courses and a OT exegesis course that required the use of both languages. My interest lies in the study of the NT. Thanks.