Profile Eval Request for Stat/Biostat MS/PhD

Looking for some feedback on my application to some Stats and Biostats Masters and PhD programs.

Profile:

1. BS with double major in Statistics and Mathematics GPA on track for 3.75, but not finished yet so could turn out as high as 3.85 or so.
    • From top 50 Statistics at a big state school in the south.
    • Also graduated from the Honors College which was recently ranked #1 public honors college in the country (whatever that's worth??)
  2. Three significant scientific research involvements and 2 unrelated internships.
    • Independent research for my Honors Thesis involves statistical analysis of water quality data from a non profit I did research with.
    • Two other non statistical research projects in Plant Biology and Microbiology 
    • Two non-scientific environment and sustainability related internships with non profits.

The bad news... I had one catastrophic semester during my sophomore year due to family issues that drew me away from campus both mentally and physically. Outside of that semester I have only one B and the rest A's. The damage that was done that semester was I withdrew from two computer science classes with WF's and finished an upper level Discrete Math with a D. I pulled out a B in Honors Calc 3 though thankfully. I will definitely be retaking those three bad classes and anticipate getting an A in all of them. 

Relevant Classes:

• Calc I(A), Honors Calc II/III (B)
    • The honors sections of math classes are considered much more challenging and stimulating though, does this balance out the B at all?
  • Honors Linear Algebra (A)
  • Honors Vector Analysis (A)
  • Real Analysis (A)
  • 3 semester Mathematical Statistics sequence (A's), various applied stats courses (A's), Bayesian Data Analysis (A's) R programming (A)
  • Honors Applied Mathematical Biology and Financial Mathematics (A's)
  • Haven't yet taken Differential Equations or Abstract Algebra, so they will not be on the transcript I send to admissions committees.

I also tutor math and believe I have solid letters of rec from my stats profs.

Looking to apply to (ordered from my first to last choice) University of Georgia (MS/PhD Stats), Auburn (MS/PhD Stats), University of South Carolina (MS/PhD Stats), University of Florida (MS/PhD Stats), Medical University of South Carolina (MS/PhD Biostats). 

How realistic are those choices, and how should I frame my explanation of my one bad semester?

Thanks 

Edited by django4321

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply cyberwulf. Do you think I'm being realistic with those schools listed? Ideally I'd want to have a funded PhD offer from one of UGA, USC, UFL, MUSC, or Auburn, but I wouldn't have a problem starting with a Masters as long as funding was offered. I would probably throw applications at UNC and Duke for my reach schools as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Those choices seem realistic assuming you have strong letters and a strong GRE as well.  Funding is much less likely from a MS program than from a PhD program.  Also the programs you list vary substantially in terms of the focus.  I would also add SC biostat given that you have SC stat and MUSC on your list.