SIPA's MPA spring 2016

James Thomas-1

Hi James,

I also applied for Columbia SIPA's Spring 2016 admissions cycle. I applied for their MIA and am waiting on results (and then hopefully funding!). I would not worry too much about GREs - they are only one part of your application! Plus, there is really no point fretting now that everything is out of your hands. 

I'll pass on what the Director of Admissions told me: they accept a smaller cohort in the spring, but from a proportionately smaller pool of applicants. It would be quite a fiasco if data suggested preference any other way.

From speaking with Georgetown's admissions team, they also echoed the same sentiments about Fall/Spring admissions. However, they stressed that the number of available spots for the Spring depends entirely on how many students graduate the previous academic year. They open up slots as people leave. SIPA may treat Spring admissions in very much the same way. 

Finally, I dug up this thread in 2013 about Spring admissions. Seems to suggest a 40-50% acceptance rate, which is on par with what Peterson's has on their website

Edited by StyLeD

Thanks for the reply. It is really helpful.

glad to find someone else applying for the spring :) Do you know when do they release the decisions? because they told me that it will take 3 to 4 weeks but after extending the deadline I'm afraid it will take more time. btw do you have any info about their preferences when it comes to the GRE scores?

Sure thing! I hope we both get good news. 

I'm going to call them first thing in the morning on Monday about admissions decisions. I already received offers from GT and Tufts but neither program is giving me much funding, if any. GT also wants a decision in an extremely short period of time. All I know is what SIPA states on its website - that results will come out sometime in November. 

Unfortunately, as you mentioned SIPA did extend their deadline to October 31st, so I think it's very likely that decisions will be made later rather than sooner. It took Georgetown a little over a month and Tufts about three weeks. 

As for GRE scores, I know nothing concrete about SIPA's preferences. They make it very clear that a foundation in quantitative analysis is critical to making it through SIPA's core courses, so I wouldn't be surprised if they focused on the quantitative score as much as, say, SAIS. 

Edited by StyLeD

• 2 weeks later...