Select the best LoR candidates for Sociology programs?

Purple queen

I'm not sure how to go select the best profs for applying to Sociology (Masters) programs...schools recommend having at least one  from a sociology department, but I'm from a poli sci major so I don't have too many options there. The programs do have a statistics prerequisite.  That said, if you had an A grade with the following professors, and the number of years elapsed since you knew them, which 3 would you select:

0 years--Statistics-community college-- One online class with in-person meetings

0 years--Sociology-community college--One intro class + sociology club advisor + knows my life story from homework assignments

0 years--Nutrition-Adjunct faculty--4-yr college--One online graduate class (taken at one of the schools I'm applying to), familiar with my research/writing capabilities

5 years--Communications-Lecturer at Stanford now --2 classes, knew me well

5 years--History-Associate professor at small 4-yr college--2 classes, knew me some (grades were A and B+)

5 years--Politics-Assistant professor at small 4-yr college--2 classes, knew me well

5 years--Theology--Director of Department at small 4-yr. college--2 classes, knew me well

I really want this to be specific to what a sociology admissions committee is looking for..

*i'm applying to rural sociology and int'l agriculture dev. type programs

Edited by Purple queen

I think this is something you ultimately have to decide for yourself. We don't know your relationship with each professor - only you can make the best guess as to which professors are likely to write you the strongest recommendation letters.

As a general rule of thumb, of course, it's better to pick professors who have 1) known you for a longer period of time, 2) knew you more recently than five years ago, 3) are full > associate > assistant > adjunct professors, 4) teaches in a discipline close to sociology (i.e., sociology >> political science > history/comm > nutrition/theology); and 5) who themselves went to a highly ranked PhD program.

But, like I said, ultimately, you are in the best position to decide which professors are likely to write you the strongest letters. For all we know, it may be the adjunct professor you've taken just one course with instead of a full professor you've taken two courses with, or the professor who you haven't talked to for five years over a professor whose class you're taking now.

Edited by iemons