S.O.S. GRE Test

Machelonga

Hello all :) I'm an international student from Mexico and I'll apply for a grad school in the US.
I have a question: I need to do the GRE by december so I have like a month to prepare for it. Can I please have your advise? How did you prepare for it? alone? tutor? how much time did it take for you to prepare for it ?

Thank you so much in advance for your time and help Emoticon smile

Edited by Machelonga

Well it depends on what your level is like now, but for me Magoosh (the quant lessons and practice questions), Manhattan flashcards and of course the Powerprep practice tests have been useful. I spent about a month on Magoosh quant lessons but I've been using the flashcards for quite a while because I'm not a native speaker (and neither are you I guess), so rather than trying to learn all those words in a short time I just brought those with me everywhere for some quick practice in between. 

I should add that I have a full-time job though, so maybe you can have a decent result within a month, but the sooner you start the better. 

Download the Powerprep software from ETS (free) and do a practice test first of all -- that will help you assess where you need to work and what kinds of problems trip you up. Then you can compare your practice scores to the avg scores of admitted students in the programs you're applying for and figure out where you need to improve. I'd do that before you start studying so that you can focus your attention accordingly.  

Hi Machelonga,

A month is not a lot of practice time, so you might end up having to adjust your plans a bit.

That having been said, it's important to define your goals, so that we can come up with the best Study Plan for your situation:

1) What is your goal score?

2) What Schools are you planning to apply to? 

3) What are the average GRE Scores for each of those Programs?

As brown_eyed_girl has suggested, you should download the free practice materials from www.gre.org and take one of the practice MSTs. Be sure to take the FULL Exam (including the Essays), so that we can get a sense of your current strengths and weaknesses.

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich