Direct Entry to PhD Programs in UK after Undergraduate?

gel123

Hi everyone,

I wonder if it is possible for someone to get admitted in a PhD program in UK after finishing her/his undergraduate study, because it seems that the opportunity for funding would be a little better if someone got in PhD programs. But maybe you must finish a MA (MPhil,  MLitt, or whatever) degree before applying to PhD in UK? 

It is possible, but tends to be quite rare (and normally UK citizens get the better deal from this as the universities are aware of what's been covered at undergrad). The official line tends to be that "exceptional students may be considered with a BSc/BA, but a MSc/MA is preferred". 

Even if you could get accepted to a PhD program in the UK straight from undergrad, there's little reason you'd want to pursue that option. PhD programs in the  UK have no coursework component for the most part. That means you'll have to start researching straight away. You'll have no chance to gain any breadth or to pursue topics in detail before deciding on specialization. The lack of breadth can hurt you on the job market (what will your AOCs be?) and the lack of coursework will make it hard to pick the right dissertation topic.

I think Overoverover makes some good points, if a little bluntly! The UK PhDs are very different to those in the US - you're expected to start your research immediately and there is very little opportunity for coursework. 

The way it works in most fields is you apply to a specific project, so you have very little say in the topic you will end up researching for 3 years. Additionally, the teaching components are a lot less structured than the US, will less support available. With regards to the job market, it depends where you want to end up - most people acknowledge the worth of a UK PhD (especially in Europe), whereas the american market is more familiar with the US style of PhD. Ultimately it is a very personal decision. I'm studying my masters in the UK, and will (hopefully) be headed to the US for my PhD, predominantly because of the difference in structure, and because I ultimately want to work in the states.