Sample Writing - Footnotes or Endnotes?

gidadu

Hey all -- maybe this is being too finicky, but I'm curious whether you guys used footnotes or endnotes for your writing sample. I've been going back and forth on what I want to do -- I know footnotes are easier to read, but it definitely adds pages and would force me to condense my paper significantly, whereas with endnotes I feel like I could get away with having "extra pages" of just endnotes (which are really just citations in my case). Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I come from a tradition where it depends on how you use your notes. That is, if they're all strictly citing a source then you should use footnotes. However, if you need to use a note to elucidate on a point and it isn't appropriate to do so in the paper (or if you're going to cite a source for further information on a complimentary topic: "For more on X, see...") then you should always use Endnotes.

That said, if you need an extra page or two and can't find a solid way to expand your material, use footnotes. If in your case you have too much, convert to endnotes if it's beneficial. I don't know of an Adcom that cares, honestly.

It seems even in the Humanities that footnotes are becoming more and more outdated but alas, I love them dearly so I use them unless instructed otherwise.

Footnotes. Endnotes are irritating to read. And I generally advocate following the submission guidelines with respect to length. 

16 hours ago, xypathos said:

in the Humanities that footnotes are becoming more and more outdated

???

30 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Footnotes. Endnotes are irritating to read. And I generally advocate following the submission guidelines with respect to length. 

???

Its been my observation that more and more scholars are turning to using endnotes outright, as opposed to footnotes. Anecdotal but others have noticed that footnotes are going out of style in the Humanities or at least their use in writing is declining.

Footnotes aren't going out of style in the humanities so much as publishers/editors are insistent that scholars use endnotes when they publish their books to save on space and thus money. At least they aren't passé in my field, where some professors might give the option of footnotes or endnotes, but most insist on footnotes and none ever do on endnotes.

OP--don't fudge anything on your application. Some programs, like Berkeley, offer the choice of footnotes or endnotes on the writing sample (again, in my field). With footnotes, the length is max 10 pages. With endnotes, you get an additional page for just notes. Other programs do not specify that you get additional pages for notes, so I wouldn't assume you do. Stay within the page limit even with notes. A huge part of the admissions process is following directions and paying attention to detail.

1 hour ago, xypathos said:

Its been my observation that more and more scholars are turning to using endnotes outright, as opposed to footnotes. Anecdotal but others have noticed that footnotes are going out of style in the Humanities or at least their use in writing is declining.

IMO, in books, there is probably a trend towards end notes for works aimed at a general but still academic audience.. In journals, where most of the work really happens, not even a little.