Help Quick! Vanderbilt MA (requires I submit my very bad GRE) vs MTS (no GRE but requires remedial coursework)

11Q13

Here are the facts:

I have a bad GRE score (480V :( 720Q 5A)

I have extensive undergraduate background in Biblical Studies and religion (double major in Biblical Studies, Youth Ministry, minor in Koine Greek, GPA 3.72)

I plan to go on to PhD in the field

The MA in the Department of Religion requires the GRE score and forces me to choose a concentration, but will have me on a better trajectory toward the PhD

The MTS in the Divinity School does not require the GRE, but has 6 courses worth of introduction to the field (I may be able to opt-out of them)

I would rather be admitted to the MA program, but I would rather be admitted than rejected obviously. Which should I apply to?

The reason I need help quick is because I asked a couple profs if they would write me references yesterday, and said I could send them links to the forms right away. Normally it takes them like a week to get back to me, but they both responded within a couple hours! :o I need to send them a link to one or the other soon!

Here are the facts:

I have extensive undergraduate background in Biblical Studies and religion (double major in Biblical Studies, Youth Ministry, minor in Koine Greek, GPA 3.72)

The MA in the Department of Religion requires the GRE score and forces me to choose a concentration, but will have me on a better trajectory toward the PhD

The MTS in the Divinity School does not require the GRE, but has 6 courses worth of introduction to the field (I may be able to opt-out of them)

I would rather be admitted to the MA program, but I would rather be admitted than rejected obviously. Which should I apply to?

The reason I need help quick is because I asked a couple profs if they would write me references yesterday, and said I could send them links to the forms right away. Normally it takes them like a week to get back to me, but they both responded within a couple hours! :o I need to send them a link to one or the other soon!

I'm not actually convinced that the MA would have you on a better track for the PhD. It looks like their program is normally only 1 year, and while you can stretch it out to 2 years, it's only by going part time. One year is not very long to prepare for doctoral programs. You would need to be applying during your very first semester of the program! Also, while their website doesn't say this (based on a brief glance, anyway), my suspicion would be that there would be more financial aid available through the divinity school, since departments of religion very often reserve most of their money for their doctoral students. Even with the six introductory courses, since the MTS prorgam is 2 years long you would still get to take more non-introductory courses than you would in the MA, and if you're able to opt out of some of them, so much the better! And a two year program would give you more time to get to know faculty and a full year's worth of grades at the graduate level by the time you are applying for doctoral programs, both of which would certainly be a great help...

Here are the facts:

definitely do the MTS. after you get in you can retake the GRE for later phd apps.