Am I missing something?

Changing paths?

So I recently decided to start looking into Graduate Geography programs concentrating in political/regional geography specifically in regards to Russia and the territories on its border. Now I got the AAG School guides handbook but they ran out of the 2009-2010 so I have the 2007-2008 one that I purchased at a reduced price. And it's lovely for looking up schools but I've noticed at least one exception and was wondering if I was missing any others? The Schools that just seem to have this program or some way for me to craft it are:

CSU Long Beach

UT Austin

UW Madison

U of Ohio

U of Montana

Now are there any others i should be aware of?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a non geography major trying to get into a Masters geography program?

Thanks much!

Yay geography! You might repost this question in the Geography forum here: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/forum/37-geography/

I am in a similar position as you, although looking at nature-society geography. From what I understand, you should have absolutely no problem getting into a geography program w/o geography undergrad. I am an Environmental Studies major and have only taken 2 geography courses, but framing my SOP/research interests in geography terms explains how/why geography is relevant to me and what I can add to the department. When you're looking at any of these programs, just take a glance at how many of the Ph.D. students were undergrad Geography majors. Very few.

Masters programs in geography are weird, and if you're considering a Ph.D. or sticking in academia, it might be beneficial to just go that route. Most of the programs I'm looking are just straight up Ph.D. programs or combined 5-6 year M.A./Ph.D. programs. The terminal M.A. seems to be less useful and less likely that you'll get funding, especially in this economy...

I also have a question for you - can you link me to the AAG guide thing? It sounds like I could really use one of these...

Thanks for the suggestion.

The link you want is here: http://www.aag.org/Publications/Guide.html

As for what I want to do with this degree, well I'm not interested in teaching yet mainly since I think I would make a better teacher after I get some non academic experience. And I'm currently more interested in either working for the State department/another governmental agency or a non governmental analysis group. So I'm hoping what I have/will get will take me that direction.

And by non geographical background I mean I'm in the Entertainment biz as a lighting technician. I've got good experience managing crews, implementing plans and finding odd solutions to odd or normal problems. As well as gutting and rebuilding lighting gear. I've gotten tired working as a freelancer and committing to dumb schedules with not great pay and no health care. And frankly political Geography seems a great way to blend my interest in foreign policy, history, and maps in one thing.

So yeah....eep.

And by non geographical background I mean I'm in the Entertainment biz as a lighting technician. I've got good experience managing crews, implementing plans and finding odd solutions to odd or normal problems. As well as gutting and rebuilding lighting gear. I've gotten tired working as a freelancer and committing to dumb schedules with not great pay and no health care. And frankly political Geography seems a great way to blend my interest in foreign policy, history, and maps in one thing.

So yeah....eep.

First, let me just say that I totally disagree on the terminal MA thing. There are many excellent geography departments that offer a MA but not a PhD (Miami of Ohio leaps to mind), provide funding to MA students, and have great faculty.

Second, you aren't the only geographer with a entertainment background! Don't worry about your lack of a geography undergraduate degree. Programs know that lots of students come in with not much of a geography background, in large part because so few schools (relatively speaking) offer geography courses.

Third, you might try checking out the journal Political Geography to see where folks are working. Or just search department webpages. There's been some faculty movement since that guide was published.