My Chances

Ashlee

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if people could give me some idea on what my chances are of acceptance into a good PP or IR course. I'm an Australian (currently working in Indonesia). I don't have any policy experience but have worked as a journalist and in the media for nearly 4 years, covering politics during a large part of that time.

Undergrad degree was a BA Communications (Journalism) from Australia's top media school, graduating Dec 2006. Distinction average. We didn't get GPAs, but using the world conversion site my GPA is apparently roughly around 3.7. I undertook a 6 month exchange to London as part of my degree. My undergraduate degree was only three years, as is the norm in Australia, and I understand some universities in the states don't like that.

I didn't study anything quantitative in undergrad degree... only political economy subjects and some political science with lots of media studies.

GRE scores were Q- 680 V- 580. Still waiting on writing result. Not as high as I had hoped- test happened right after pretty major earthquake. :(

Professional experience includes being a local government reporter in Sydney for two years primarily covering urban development issues, as well as mental health policy, the environment and a State and Federal election (among stories about school plays and other 'community events' haha).

I've been in Indonesia for more than a year working as a copy editor on the Web desk of a English daily newspaper. So that's involved editing and working on breaking news coverage for this year's legislative and presidential elections, two major earthquake disasters and of course the July terrorist bombings in Jakarta and subsequent terrorism raids.

As for volunteer work, it's all mostly media related- community radio during university (worked on a nationally broadcast community radio current affairs program as a volunteer), worked as an editor on a national student publication which is now unfortunately defunct, worked on the start up of a newspaper for an African refugee community in Sydney, etc.

Should get three good letters of rec, one academic and two professional (from my media work).

Oh and I read, write and speak Indonesian to an intermediate-ish level, and also have basic Japanese knowledge (but very out of practice), and have travelled extensively.

I really want to go to a "good" school... one that I can drop the name of anywhere in the world and people will likely know it. Otherwise it's just not worth the difficult financial situation this is going to be for me and I will just have to go study in Australia. I'm particularly interested in developing world issues, such as voter education in emerging democracies, women's education, human rights and media development, as well as policy analysis and international relations.

I've looked at WWS, NYU Wagner, Fletcher, American U, Georgetown, Michigan.

The trouble is I really need to be able to get some sort of financial aid, whether it's a scholarship or assistantship or whatever. There aren't really any scholarships available on the Australian end for overseas masters study, just PhDs.

Does anyone have any advice on my chances of being accepted to any of the above schools, or any other suggestions about programs I should look at that might suit my profile. Any help at all would be most appreciated!

You sound like a competitive candidate! Use your statement of purpose to tie together how your extensive media and journalism experience ties into your concurrent interests in human rights, suffrage, women's education, and you'll present a unique and compelling case for why you would be a good fit for any of these schools, and particularly for an interdisciplinary program like that at Fletcher.

Your GRE scores could be a little higher, especially for someone who graduated recently, but with solid letters of recommendation, a brilliant SoP and your record of achievement both in university and afterward, you should do well in the admissions process.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

Ok, one thing I forgot to mention in the above post is that my undergraduate degree was only three years, which is the norm in Australia for a BA... I'm kinda having a freakout that this is going to be looked upon badly.

I got my GRE writing score (finally... Indonesian postal system is so BAD!) and it was 5.5.

I've applied for Tufts (no early acceptance, my app has been deferred to next round :( ), WWS, NYU Wagner and American. I've also applied for a European Eramus Mundus program.

But I'm really worried about how my three year degree will be viewed by American universities...

Anyone gotten into school in the states with a three year undergrad degree?

There were other places I was going to apply to, like maybe Duke and Cornell, but they require a four year undergrad degree. Duke told me flat out that my application would be rejected without a four year undergrad.

I'm umming about whether I should apply for some other places or whether it would be a waste of cash and I should just wait it out and see what happens.

Any advice? I'm so clueless about my chances...

But I'm really worried about how my three year degree will be viewed by American universities...

Anyone gotten into school in the states with a three year undergrad degree?

There were other places I was going to apply to, like maybe Duke and Cornell, but they require a four year undergrad degree. Duke told me flat out that my application would be rejected without a four year undergrad.

I find it very bizarre that Duke would say something like that, particularly since some American students transfer in a year's worth of AP/community college credits when starting college. Placing those kinds of restrictions on overseas students doesn't seem right. But anyway, I know people who've done very well in the admissions process with a three-year British degree, so I don't think that's going to be a problem. Given your experience I'm pretty sure you'd be a very promising candidate for American (and if you're applying for the international development program, you should have a very good chance of funding), but I can't speak to any of the other schools.

Thanks for the feedback, yeah I am applying for International Development at American.

I was surprised as well to get that response from Duke... didn't seem very fair to me :(

Did you specify that you were an international student with a Bachelor's degree? Given that Duke has a good number of international students, I sincerely doubt that they have no students with UK/Australian/etc. degrees... Maybe they thought you were a U.S. student with an 2-year Associate's degree?

EDIT: Found a page on the Duke website that explicitly says that they accept 3-year international degrees: http://www.sanford.duke.edu/graduate/mpp/admissions/apply.php under "transcripts"

Edited by greendiplomat