African-American // Africana // African Diaspora Studies Fall 2016 Applicants

Hi All!

Anyone else applying to Africana studies (or African-American or Diaspora studies) programs for Fall 2016? If so, which schools? 

I am applying to doctoral programs:

Brown (Africana Studies), Cornell (Africana Studies), Harvard (African American Studies), NYU (American Studies), Northwestern (African American Studies), UC Berkeley (African American, African Diaspora Studies), UPenn (Africana Studies), USC (American Studies), UT Austin (African Diaspora Studies), Yale (African American Studies + Anthropology)

• 1 month later...

I applied to a couple of the same schools, plus a few others. Do you think it's a good sign that we're the only ones in this forum so far? Maybe it's a light application season and we're the only two that applied? Wouldn't that be great :-)

What are your research interests? I worry that I was a little too specific in my SOP. 

Hey y'all!

I applied to the same schools, minus a few (for Africana studies at least). I'm doing the combined African American and American Studies program at a few schools; I also applied to a few English Literature programs. 

It would be great if this is a light application season! :-) Best of luck, and many wishes for multiple acceptances. 

On 12/29/2015 at 3:57 PM, HeidiBobine said:

I applied to a couple of the same schools, plus a few others. Do you think it's a good sign that we're the only ones in this forum so far? Maybe it's a light application season and we're the only two that applied? Wouldn't that be great :-)

What are your research interests? I worry that I was a little too specific in my SOP. 

Hi!! I am so happy that someone finally replied to this thread!! I was like I guess I'm the only one applying this year lol. But I think come next month when people are waiting and wondering there will be more people. 

My general research interests are transnational feminism/ black diaspora feminisms; politics of race and beauty/ afro-latinx identities. What are your research interests?

11 hours ago, BaldwinsBrother said:

Hey y'all!

I applied to the same schools, minus a few (for Africana studies at least). I'm doing the combined African American and American Studies program at a few schools; I also applied to a few English Literature programs. 

It would be great if this is a light application season! :-) Best of luck, and many wishes for multiple acceptances. 

Hi! Sounds good. Less competition would be so nice!!!; I have a feeling it's probably the same amount as usual. What are your research interests??

i'm applying to mostly MA programs in history and one program in Library Science.

History MA (African American focus)- University of Delaware
NYU Africana Studies, MA
Syracuse Pan African Studies, MA

Recently submitted my last application --Columbia. 

NOW THAT WAIT. Does anyone know when schools start getting back to folks? I know Columbia's deadline is Feb 1,for example, but do they start looking at applications before that or do they wait until they everyone's in?

11 hours ago, Undercommoner said:

Recently submitted my last application --Columbia. 

NOW THAT WAIT. Does anyone know when schools start getting back to folks? I know Columbia's deadline is Feb 1,for example, but do they start looking at applications before that or do they wait until they everyone's in?

From what I have learned from looking at past years, UT Austin gets back to people pretty early (like end of January) and a lot of schools get back to people in mid/end of February. I think some will get back to us in March, especially when people waitlisted.

I feel like Columbia may look at apps before, but will most likely wait until the deadline before they start really going through it all and responding :wacko:

Is anyone else obsessively checking application statuses already? I know it's way too early for most of the schools I applied to, but I can't help but check...just in case! :-)  I need to get a grip.  Holding my breath every time I see that I have new email has become unhealthy! 

@Undercommoner - I think Columbia begins it's review after all applications have been received. I would expect their review process to be on the slow side (I am a current student, and CU is slow in general). 

It looks like Northwestern usually send out notifications in mid to late February.  Based on past posts on gradcafe, UPenn sometimes sends out interview invites in January. Anyone else apply to UPenn?!  

Hi Everyone! Late to the thread - but I've applied to some of the same schools as you in similar combinations - African/American Diaspora Studies, American Studies; English Lit at Northwestern, USC, UT Austin, U Mich, Emory, Yale, with UT being my top choice (fingers crossed!). 

I have been obsessively checking my email for the last 2 weeks. I know it's too early, but I can't help it! 

Good luck to everyone and I hope you all get into your top choices *with funding.*

@unfriendlyblackhottie - It looks like some POIs at UPenn have extended invitations for interviews in January in the past, but some have also reached out in February and even March...so don't worry!  I think it's still pretty early for UPenn. Hope is still alive! 

Did everyone here reach out to POIs and develop relationships prior to submission of your applications?  I did for a couple of schools, but not for all.  Other than for the purpose of determining who is accepting new students and who isn't, I wonder how critical it is in this field.  In psychology, I know it's an absolute must but I'm not sure how important it is for AFAM.

@HeidiBobine I reached out to people for only 3 of the 10 I applied to. I was just wondering yesterday too how important it is for admissions. I assume that it's probably helpful, especially if that school is a good fit for you, but not totally necessary. I guess we'll find out:o

^Sorry typo. 

But I meant to say if you're going for PhD programs it is worth it to reach out to faculty you are interested in working with, telling them what you're broadly interested in as well as asking them about whether they are taking on advisees for the upcoming year.  I emailed a professor I really wanted to work with and they actually told me that while they liked my research ideas they had too many advisees, but I should still apply and find another faculty willing to support the research. 

Hey y'all, I contacted 6 POIs from my 12 schools. Ever professor was very nice, responded within great time, and I've been in conversation with a few past the general inquiry. Now we just have to endure the nerve-wracking wait, but time's winding down. Everyone on the east coast, stay safe in the blizzard this weekend. 

On 12/31/2015 at 3:36 AM, unfriendlyblackhottie said:

Hi! Sounds good. Less competition would be so nice!!!; I have a feeling it's probably the same amount as usual. What are your research interests??

Sorry for the late reply, I have little-to-no clue how to use this website. My general research interests are (primarily within 20th cent Af. Am. lit) childhood studies, queer theory and masculinity studies, afro-futurism, and affect and embodiment theories. I also study the vernacular and the politics of "popular," for lack of a better word, identities in hip hop literature and live performances for my rhetoric and composition department. 

@BaldwinsBrother nice!! did you apply to any programs in African American studies combined with English? and its okay, I was struggling too. I didn't even know what the "board" was until a few days ago. i kept seeing people post about it but didn't know how to find it.