African-American // Africana // African Diaspora Studies Fall 2016 Applicants

@BaldwinsBrother thank you!!!! to be honest, i am not even sure who called me. It wasn't POI.. she introduced herself but I was just trying to focus and not freak out. it could have been the director of graduate studies, that would make sense because her name started with an M. and she said that she found out they were emailing and sending letters tomorrow so she wanted to call to make it more personal. 

1 hour ago, unfriendlyblackhottie said:

@BaldwinsBrother thank you!!!! to be honest, i am not even sure who called me. It wasn't POI.. she introduced herself but I was just trying to focus and not freak out. it could have been the director of graduate studies, that would make sense because her name started with an M. and she said that she found out they were emailing and sending letters tomorrow so she wanted to call to make it more personal. 

Professor Marla Frederick!  

Hello Everyone! Can't believe I'm just now getting hip to these forums.

I have been accepted to Harvard and UC Berkeley, had an interview with Brown, and waiting to hear from Northwestern and NYU. 

I would love to hear some others' pros and cons about the departments, especially Harvard and UC Berkeley. 

Sending great vibes to everyone! We shall all end up where we need to be :)

Anyone heard from UPenn at all yet? 

It seems like all the big players in AFAM have already sent out acceptances (Yale, Harvard, Northwestern, Berkeley, Cornell, Brown, and UT). So I'm wondering if Penn has sent out invitations as well (with rejections forthcoming) and either the accepted individuals are not on this board...or they are committed lurkers. 

I have a good offer on the table in women's/gender studies and i want to accept/start making plans for next year, but it's difficult to do knowing that a decision is still looming! Ahhhh UPenn, what's the hold up?!!! 

Edited by HeidiBobine

@zoesing - yay!!!! 

@unfriendlyblackhottie - thanks for the update! Maybe this means UPenn hasn't offered interviews yet?! It looks like someone did an interview as late as 2/24 last year. Fingers crossed!

Someone posted on the results page that the 4 finalists for NYU American Studies were contacted last week, so i've given up on NYU. Even if theres the potential to be waitlisted, I'm not terribly interested in the program so I'm not going to hold out for it. 

On February 12, 2016 at 11:45 PM, HeidiBobine said:

Anyone heard from UPenn at all yet? 

It seems like all the big players in AFAM have already sent out acceptances (Yale, Harvard, Northwestern, Berkeley, Cornell, Brown, and UT). So I'm wondering if Penn has sent out invitations as well (with rejections forthcoming) and either the accepted individuals are not on this board...or they are committed lurkers. 

I have a good offer on the table in women's/gender studies and i want to accept/start making plans for next year, but it's difficult to do knowing that a decision is still looming! Ahhhh UPenn, what's the hold up?!!! 

Can anyone else confirm that Brown sent our acceptances? I have some friends who have been rejected from Brown, but am yet to hear if anyone has been accepted. I had an interview almost 3 weeks ago and haven't heard back since. 

@td_ny - hey! i just assumed Brown had sent acceptances since they already did rejections (and it seemed like the majority of schools extended offers of admission before they sent out rejections), but actually looking at the results page there doesn't seem to be any confirmed Brown acceptances so I'm probably totally wrong!!!  Congrats on getting an interview. I'm sure they will contact you soon! 

On 2/14/2016 at 1:58 PM, unfriendlyblackhottie said:

@HeidiBobineI haven't heard from UPenn. Just got rejected from Northwestern yesterday so now I'm just waiting on Yale, NYU (am studies) and UPenn. I feel like they must be interviewing by now?

@zoesingcongrats!!!:Dbest feeling ever!! what program?

University of Delaware! thanks :)

New to this thread, but many congratulations to those with acceptances! I mostly applied to English programs but did apply to the joint program in English and African American Studies at Yale. Anyone have any intel? So ready to start making decisions!