African-American // Africana // African Diaspora Studies Fall 2016 Applicants

@unfriendlyblackhottie yeah, I applied in a way to mention at least one English faculty member in each of my Statements. I know Harvard has you choose a primary field, so that is application is specifically combined with English. Other than about five African American studies programs, the others I applied to are English specifically. Did you apply to any combined programs? 

@BaldwinsBrotherooh nice. Do you have a preference on African American/Africana studies vs. English programs?

I applied to Yale for a African American and American studies combined degree, and for Harvard I did a specialization in Anthropology (which now I'm scared about because I don't have an anthro background so I hope that doesn't disqualify me)

@unfriendlyblackhottie I don't have a strong preference because I plan to pursue interdisciplinary studies, but long-term I would want to teach in an English department. And I don't think you'll be disqualified. I'm not sure how the committee/selection process works exactly, but a lot of decisions seems to come from fit/writing sample/ who you know. But hey, it only takes one "yes," and (I think) we've applied to a good number of schools/programs. 

I heard that usually folks who NWU is seriously considering get invited to interview with interested faculty before they finalize decisions. Does anyone know if this is true/currently occurring?  I could imagine there being a good amount of people they don't forward to this round. 

Edited by Undercommoner

I haven't heard that. Their website does say that students admitted are invited for a recruitment weekend, but I didn't see anything about interviews. KInda don't want to call because if I do, and they say that they've sent out requests for interviews - my hopes'll be crushed. 

On 1/22/2016 at 0:10 AM, unfriendlyblackhottie said:

ccongrats on the UT admit!! any details if active on this forum??

Congratulations! That's awesome news! So happy for you! 

@unfriendlyblackhottie Sadly, no. Keeping hope alive though! Also having stress-induced dreams where I'm either stuck in a never-ending cycle of refreshing my screen to see if a decision has come, or having a dream within a dream where I've been admitted. 

I'd like to start getting answers either ways so I can at least start sleeping through the night again :)

Hello all! I was accepted to Berkeley's AfAm program last night. I am very excited. Congrats to the other admits who have been notified, Berkeley and UT Austin!

I've also applied to Yale (AfAm/History), Columbia (History), Harvard (AfAm), Penn (Africana), Northwestern (AfAm), and NYU (History).

I had a "conversation" last week with Yale (that is what they called it, but it seemed like an interview). No word on any of the other schools yet. 

Congrats @unfriendlyblackhottie !!

@BionicKris - I know what you mean about lack of sleep....I just woke up from another rejection nightmare! 

I am waiting to hear from UPenn, Northwestern, and NYU.  All three are interview schools, and typically send out interview invites by some point in mid February. I'm getting really anxious at this point...if I don't hear anything in the next 2 weeks, I'm going to start to lose hope.  No one has heard from UPenn yet?

@unfriendlyblackhottie - UPenn and NYU definitely do interviews. Northwestern im not so sure about. There have been some rumors floating around on this forum that northwestern might do interviews, but their website just says that admitted students are invited to a recruitment weekend after they've been accepted. So who knows. Keeping fingers crossed about UPenn. 

Congrats about Cornell! I hear they have a great program (a friend of mine did her phd there).  I wish I'd applied to more schools, but my research interests are pretty specific and could only be supported at a couple of schools.