Applying for Fall 2016

ShadowCat

Hi Everyone,

Application deadlines are looming! Any other current applicants out there getting ready to submit (or maybe you're on top of things and have already submitted)? Any past applicants with words of wisdom for us as we put the final touches on our SOPs and start the torturous waiting game?

I've gotten the three applications in that are due on Dec 1st, but still waiting for one of my profs to do a recommendation letter. I'm getting a little bit antsy since they are due in two days...

1 hour ago, felagund said:

I've gotten the three applications in that are due on Dec 1st, but still waiting for one of my profs to do a recommendation letter. I'm getting a little bit antsy since they are due in two days...

I'm in the exact same boat! 

1 hour ago, felagund said:

Same, or even worse situation here. I have two schools due by December 1st, so far only one of my profs submitted the letter...

My prof got my recommendations in, thankfully. Now all I have left are deadlines in mid-late December which gives me time to further tweak my SOP. I am aiming quite high in doctoral apps, but applying to a bunch of places, all of which I would like to go to. I kinda doubt I will get accepted at most, but you never know. 

Edited by felagund

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all! I've recently finished and submitted all 10 of my apps, and like many of us I'm experiencing that feeling of loss and emptiness that accompanies the end of this feat. But anyways best of luck to everyone before we know it the holidays will be over and then we can commiserate even more about how this 'application purgatory' is driving us all insane!!

All my applications are in - I had seven of them. Of course I get these random reminder emails and surveys once a day that are keeping me on edge...Then one of the schools emailed everyone who applied to the composition department and didn't block the other addresses leading to me researching all the other composers..

I'm pretty sure that most of the time, schools aren't going to eliminate your application just because one of your rec letters isn't in at the deadline. I think the first time I was applying I had a problem with a rec letter and it didn't really become an issue until two or three weeks after the deadline. So if any of you are still waiting for one, you're probably okay as long as it's in soon.

Good luck, try not to stress too much (as if it's possible to help it)

On 12/12/2015 at 1:07 PM, Deluge said:

I've recently finished and submitted all 10 of my apps, and like many of us I'm experiencing that feeling of loss and emptiness that accompanies the end of this feat.

I'm definitely feeling the "loss and emptiness" right now... especially since I'm now finished with finals and papers for the semester! I know I should be excited for break, but I feel so purposeless... I'm just relieved to know that I'm not the only one who experiences this at the end of big projects! I submitted 7 applications total and have one interview lined up so far, but don't expect to hear from any of the other schools until after break. 

Anyway, I hope all of you have a delightful break! Maybe the new Star Wars movie will distract us all from our application-induced restlessness :)

1 hour ago, ShadowCat said:

I'm definitely feeling the "loss and emptiness" right now... especially since I'm now finished with finals and papers for the semester! I know I should be excited for break, but I feel so purposeless... I'm just relieved to know that I'm not the only one who experiences this at the end of big projects! I submitted 7 applications total and have one interview lined up so far, but don't expect to hear from any of the other schools until after break. 

Anyway, I hope all of you have a delightful break! Maybe the new Star Wars movie will distract us all from our application-induced restlessness :)

Totally same here. But you have already got an interview?? That's really early....I assume that I would probably hear something back at earliest in the late January.

Good luck everyone! There are at least two schools that send out their interviews before the holidays. Last year, I received one in mid-December, and the other one should be coming your way next week (depending on your list of schools, of course). Also, don't forget that many schools make their decisions without interviews, so don't lose hope if you end the year on a negative note.

On 12/18/2015 at 3:17 PM, InTheory said:

Good luck everyone! There are at least two schools that send out their interviews before the holidays. Last year, I received one in mid-December, and the other one should be coming your way next week (depending on your list of schools, of course). Also, don't forget that many schools make their decisions without interviews, so don't lose hope if you end the year on a negative note.

Additionally, some schools change whether they do interviews from year to year. Some schools do interviews for a few of the people on their short list while accepting others without interviewing them. Had that experience when I was applying -- a friend and I were applying to the same place, I got an interview and he didn't so he thought he was out of the running, then it turned out that he was accepted and I was waitlisted. You just never know. While that's almost definitely not the norm, don't count yourself out based on interview notices.

And I know you've all heard it already, but it's worth repeating -- applications are a crapshoot, top schools have to reject people they like and think are great every year, schools are factoring in things like research interests and cohort fit, you might get rejected by a school one year and accepted by them the next jut because different admissions committees have different preferences, and whether schools accept or reject your application isn't a reflection of your value as a person or even your value as a scholar. It's stressful, but you're doing great, and you'll get through it.

• 3 weeks later...

Earlier today I received a call from a long distance United States caller ID and I was thinking "oh my god, it's one of the places I applied to!".

Nope. Just a telephone survey...

13 minutes ago, felagund said:

Earlier today I received a call from a long distance United States caller ID and I was thinking "oh my god, it's one of the places I applied to!".

Nope. Just a telephone survey...

Oh, man. I would've freaked out a little, too. I get nervous every time I see that I have a message in my spam folder just in case it might have been from a school...

Congrats, Musicologist!

There is a forthcoming book that explores the dark and mysterious world of PhD admissions committees--you can read a review of it here: https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2016/01/06/new-book-reveals-how-elite-phd-admissions-committees-review-candidates

I have to say, it's a little unnerving.