Applying for Fall 2016

ShadowCat

I had a phone conversation with a program 2 hours ahead of me. The professor asked for 9:00am, and even though it was 7:00am for me, I did it.  

I think it's normal to have early phone calls.  It's probably one of the few times these professors have available. 

Got into ethno programs at UC Riverside and Indiana U. TA-ship stipends are okay, but it will be hard for my wife and me to relocate and transition with our first child coming this July, especially not knowing when she'll be ready to go back to work. The stipends can barely support one person, let alone three of us, but the programs are great, so it's a tough call. Still waiting to hear from ethno programs at Penn, Brown, and UT Austin.

Also congrats to the Columbia admits! Seems there's a few people active on here who applied. I got an email from them yesterday evening informing me I'd been waitlisted.

This leaves UCLA as the only school out of five that I'm yet to hear a squeak from since putting in my application, which is surprising seeing as theirs was by far the earliest deadline. I noticed someone posted on the results page that they'd been invited for an interview about a month ago: anyone else had any news from them? My transcripts got horribly delayed in the post, but I didn't even get so much as a one-line acknowledgement when I emailed to apologise for the delay, and they've never confirmed they arrived. 

On 2/23/2016 at 1:45 AM, HelloThisIsDog said:

Anyone heard from Penn yet?

Not yet. Trying to be patient, but as I didn't get an interview this year, I'm not very optimistic, anyway. Were you interviewed? I got a 10-minute Skype interview last year, but I didn't make the cut. Something I read on this forum recently seemed to suggest that those Skype interviews are only for their "maybe" list, so I'm still holding onto a thread of hope that I've been on their "almost definitely" list all along.

On 2/24/2016 at 8:16 AM, AnxiousApplicant123 said:

Not yet. Trying to be patient, but as I didn't get an interview this year, I'm not very optimistic, anyway. Were you interviewed? I got a 10-minute Skype interview last year, but I didn't make the cut. Something I read on this forum recently seemed to suggest that those Skype interviews are only for their "maybe" list, so I'm still holding onto a thread of hope that I've been on their "almost definitely" list all along.

To avoid false info floating around, I'll state my experience with a UPenn interview. During mine I was basically told I was accepted ("hopefully the next time we see you will be in person" - scared the cr@p out of me to hear that), and the interview was so chill it was fairly obvious from the beginning that it was a procedure rather than a test. At other institutions the interview process seemed like a key part of their decision making process. This reflects the fact that institutions may be more or less certain about candidates, may use interviews for different purposes for different candidates, and may change their practices year to year. One program, for example, wanted to talk in depth about my research plans including details like fieldwork funding, which wasn't even touched upon at other interviews. Other candidates for the same program in the same year had a 10 minute interview. So I would suggest you avoid trying to draw conclusions based on other people's experiences in different years!

36 minutes ago, music said:

To avoid false info floating around, I'll state my experience with a UPenn interview. During mine I was basically told I was accepted ("hopefully the next time we see you will be in person" - scared the cr@p out of me to hear that), and the interview was so chill it was fairly obvious from the beginning that it was a procedure rather than a test. At other institutions the interview process seemed like a key part of their decision making process. This reflects the fact that institutions may be more or less certain about candidates, may use interviews for different purposes for different candidates, and may change their practices year to year. One program, for example, wanted to talk in depth about my research plans including details like fieldwork funding, which wasn't even touched upon at other interviews. Other candidates for the same program in the same year had a 10 minute interview. So I would suggest you avoid trying to draw conclusions based on other people's experiences in different years!

That was my point exactly. None of this is consistent or makes any sense, so I'm not drawing the conclusion that no interview = no consideration. I've received 3 offers with no interviews at all. Not sharing any false info, just speculating based on the info I have. My near future hangs in the balance, so I think I'm justified in a little speculation.

Trying to do the same, especially as information posted regarding some of the programs I applied hasn't been updated since 2014. Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, and anything else that I can right now!

Still waiting to hear from Berkeley. They notified some rejections in late January, and so presumably acceptances then as well.

I would think that waitlisted folks would have been notified by now, but also see that they apparently send rejections in waves sometimes. Is anyone else still waiting on them, or have any insight as to how their process works?

Just received generic rejection email from UT Austin, Butler School of Music. This was expected, as the division head had told me before I applied that they were only going to admit one PhD applicant, and it would most likely be someone from their MA program.

Still waiting on Penn and Brown.

I have been rejected by Harvard (my only ethno application).  Still waiting for UT Austin and NYU.  Are there other NYU musicology applicants here???  I haven't seen any NYU activity.  I saw a rejection for ethnomusicology at UT Austin, any Musicology action?

6 hours ago, Musicologist said:

I have been rejected by Harvard (my only ethno application).  Still waiting for UT Austin and NYU.  Are there other NYU musicology applicants here???  I haven't seen any NYU activity.  I saw a rejection for ethnomusicology at UT Austin, any Musicology action?

I heard that one of my classmates got in NYU ethnomusicology program....but haven't heard any activity about musicology.

10 hours ago, musicologypl said:

I heard that one of my classmates got in NYU ethnomusicology program....but haven't heard any activity about musicology.

I applied to NYU ethno. I guess your classmate's acceptance is bad news for me: I haven't heard a word from NYU. :mellow: