Applying for Fall 2016

ShadowCat

On March 8, 2016 at 1:12 PM, chalantcop said:

I am in the exact same boat with Columbia! At this point I'm assuming they're waiting to hear from their first choice candidates, but it would be nice if they at least told us that's what they're doing. 

And I feel bad because I have a pretty attractive offer from UCSB, but I don't want to accept it until I hear back from every program. So I'm probably keeping someone else on the line. It's just a nerve-wracking situation all around!

If you REALLY want to go to Columbia, then stick it out. I have applied to Columbia Ethno in the past. I hate to burst your bubble, but I know from experience that Columbia generally accepts in February and rejects in March. You may be on a waitlist, but really they probably would've notified you of that. I have experience with this program. I was rejected at the END of March. Be ready for that.

Edited by NightGallery

On 2/15/2016 at 9:47 AM, HelloThisIsDog said:
  • UPenn's program secretary asked me to take the interview at around 8am, isn't that odd? Does the faculty want to be up and going that early?

Any word from Penn yet? I haven't heard a single thing from Penn or Brown, and it's getting pretty late in the game.

16 hours ago, NightGallery said:

If you REALLY want to go to Columbia, then stick it out. I have applied to Columbia Ethno in the past. I hate to burst your bubble, but I know from experience that Columbia generally accepts in February and rejects in March. You may be on a waitlist, but really they probably would've notified you of that. I have experience with this program. I was rejected at the END of March. Be ready for that.

Oh man thanks for the info! At this point I'm definitely presuming a rejection, but I'm one of those people who needs to know. I have a fully funded offer elsewhere, so I'm good either way. It would just be nice to have closure on all of this. 

1 hour ago, chalantcop said:

Oh man thanks for the info! At this point I'm definitely presuming a rejection, but I'm one of those people who needs to know. I have a fully funded offer elsewhere, so I'm good either way. It would just be nice to have closure on all of this. 

I absolutely can relate to that! I'm waiting to hear the final word from Columbia and Penn ethnomusicology, then I'm going on with the rest of my life (I'm about to get a professional degree from an Ivy League University). Good Luck in your PhD studies! I'm too old to take a chance on anything but an Ivy/Public Ivy League PhD program at this point, because jobs are far too hard to come by in the academy...

Edited by NightGallery

Who has applied to NYU's ethno program? I saw a rejection go up a little while ago, but I've personally not heard a peep. Could this mean I made some sort of unofficial wait list? Does anyone know of anyone who has been accepted?

Edit: I've also not heard anything from Columbia's ethno program. I am presuming a rejection. 

Edited by floatinggreenskull

On 3/11/2016 at 7:31 PM, floatinggreenskull said:

Who has applied to NYU's ethno program? I saw a rejection go up a little while ago, but I've personally not heard a peep. Could this mean I made some sort of unofficial wait list? Does anyone know of anyone who has been accepted?

Edit: I've also not heard anything from Columbia's ethno program. I am presuming a rejection. 

I received a rejection from Columbia today. And I also applied to NYU, but haven't heard from them at all =/ 

14 hours ago, ca820 said:

I received a rejection from Columbia today. And I also applied to NYU, but haven't heard from them at all =/ 

Rejected by Columbia yesterday and NYU last week. If you haven't heard from them yet, it could mean you are in a holding pattern. Remain positive, but don't read too much into it... at best you are probably on an unofficial waitlist, meaning: you're behind those already notified of being waitlisted... who knows?  You may get an email tomorrow asking for an interview. Best of luck to you! Incredibly selective program.

Got a rejection letter from Brown (ethno) this morning. Still waiting on Penn, but someone sent me a private message letting me know that Penn's visit week for musicology is this week or next. I'm guessing that means ethno, too, since they're all part of the Graduate Group in Music. I'm still holding onto a sliver of pretend hope, but I'm finally realizing I'm just not Ivy League material.

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA yet or know of when they usually notify people? I applied MA for ethno, but haven't heard a thing.

Penn Rejected last night. That's it. This means I'm not going to be an ethnomusicologist; or at least not one with a degree that states as such. Trying to get my head around it... I'm not going to be professor. For the better part of a decade that was my scholastic aim. Instead, I'm going into the professional world. Stunned, really. Always saw myself as an academic: as someone who would become a professor of ethnomusicology. Unfortunately, the folks at the seven programs I applied to this year (my third and final round) did not. My life just changed in a very serious way and forever. As a consolation I'll have an Ivy League professional degree come June. As for the rest of my life, I fully intend to make the best of it. I congratulate all those who were admitted, and I wish everyone else going through the sting of rejection all of the fortitude and tenacity they need to do what is best for themselves next year; whatever that might entail. The Grad Cafe has been a source of comfort and clarification over these three application cycles and I am grateful for that. It is time to move on. Excelsior!

Edited by NightGallery

27 minutes ago, hiroshiman said:

NightGallery -

You do realize that you are allowed to apply to grad school more than once, right? Many require more than one round of applications, myself included.

Yes, I do. I've applied to Columbia three times. After I get settled into my new life, I don't know if I'll be able to uproot everything again for such an endeavor. I may have a different point of view after a few years, but really at this point I don't see it happening. I was admitted to UCLA in 2014 and passed because their job numbers were terrible. Seven years of intense study for a small chance at a tenure-track job is simply unacceptable to me. I'm not in my twenties anymore and I'm married. So, I went to Cornell to failsafe my earning power with a Pro degree, with the hopes that it would raise my profile enough to successfully reapply to Columbia (and other Ivy/Public Ivies) this year. I had a good rapport with Columbia, visited twice and had a great 2 1/2 hour meeting with my POI there in NYC last October. It was all VERY encouraging. But —in the end— I just couldn't convince them (or the other programs I applied to) that I was the best candidate. I'm at that point where I think its probably best to just move on. I wish you every success! 

Edited by NightGallery

@ShostieHue I did not apply to Northwestern, but I have a friend who has been accepted. Not sure when they were informed of the decision, but it was at least a couple weeks ago.

@NightGallery Sorry to hear about your results :( I hope that whatever you decide to do now goes well for you! Congratulations on your upcoming graduation from your professional degree! 

Edited by ShadowCat

@NightGallery, I'm so sorry to hear this news, and I know you must be feeling more than a bit lost at this point. Life is indeed an entanglement of many twisting paths, and we can seldom foretell just where we may end up at any point along the way...but with your attitude, I know success will find you! :) You're very inspiring! 

I got my Penn rejection yesterday, too. I was really hoping for an Ivy League acceptance, but none worked out. I got into two ethno programs and an anthro program, and I'm leaning more toward the anthro degree because it seems like it could be better for job prospects in the long run. Still not Ivy League, but the program seems like a good fit, and one prof in particular that I am really excited about working with.

@NightGallery, I'm in much the same boat as you are. Mid-30s, family to support, and an MA that I could probably leverage for a decent non-academic job (not Ivy League, but still). Nevertheless, I'm going for it. I know I won't be guaranteed a university position when it's all said and done (and that's part of the reason why I'm most likely going with anthro over ethno), but I have to go for this one last big attempt. I'm not saying you should give it another go, just trying to say I know it's a tough spot to be in.

On 2/27/2016 at 2:58 PM, ca820 said:

Has anyone applied/heard from University of Washington's ethno program?

Did you apply for a MA or a PhD at UW? Really hoping we hear back from them by the end of the week...

9 hours ago, MatchaMezzo said:

Did you apply for a MA or a PhD at UW? Really hoping we hear back from them by the end of the week...

I applied, but I had heard that they had already contacted the applicants they wanted...? Personally assuming another rejection.

One more school to hear from before decisions. Come on, NYU...

5 hours ago, Baroquiness said:

Has anyone heard anything from BU? haven't heard anything from them nor seen anything on the results page... Has anyone else who applied there heard anything?  

I'm in the same boat. I called BU today to ask when they will send out notifications about the results and they said sometime in the next two weeks.

I'm other news, out of the 4 schools I applied to, I have heard from three with rejections. The worst part is I had to call two of the three to ask when they would send the results. Apparently they sent out acceptance already but they failed to send out notifications of rejections ( for me anyways). I'm not sure what I'm going to do if I don't get into grad school...

@NightGallery I'm sorry to hear about the schools. I wish you the best of luck!

Toronto Schools 
I have not heard from 3/4 schools yet, I am getting worried that I may not get in anywhere!
Checking the portals daily for an update .... I have checked the feed on the acceptances so far and some have heard back early march! 
I have confirmation emails to state my applications were received in January. 
Ahhhhh what are everyones thoughts on this?! 

So Far:
March 14 I was rejected from Concordia For Masters in Art History
Waiting to hear back from:
Ryerson University for Film and photography Preservation and Collections Management, Masters
York University Art History Masters 
University of Toronto For MVS Curatorial