Please please give me your honest opinion!

NeuroNerd86

Hello everyone,

I know that there are plenty of posts like that on the board, but I really really reallly need your honest opinion on my chances.

I'm applying for PhD graduate programs in neuroscience, however I feel like I'm far behind my fellow applicants in the field.

Here are my stats:

GPA for 2 years at the top school in my native country: 4.65/5 (majored in bio)

GPA from the American college of graduation: 3.097/4 (top public school, majored in neuroscience)

GRE: 580V/760Q/?? AW

TOEFL: exempt

2 years of undergrad research experience

almost 2 years of full-time staff research experience in neuroscience lab

1 pending 2nd author paper,

2 abstracts (1 first author)

4 posters (2 first author)

National award in the related research field (top 5 poster at the conference-I think I was the only non-grad student or post-docs competing but I'm not sure)

probably will receive good LORs from my supervisors at the lab and some professors.

My American undergrad GPA is honestly killing me. I know it is not hopelessly awful, but I have some pretty bad grades- I failed a class

in my major (to be fair, it is one class with a VERY high failure rate, I retook the following quarter and got a B+), got some Cs and had to withdraw from 2 classes very late. I'm not making any excuses and it is my fault entirely, but I did have some hindering circumstances:

-some family stuff -hence an awful quarter with a D and one of the withdrawals

-since I was in the US for only a year prior to getting into a college, I was plain lost and overwhelmed for some time (hence the first withdrawal

when I realized I am going to fail the class). It didn't really help that I already attended a university in another country

and it got me "wired" differently, since the system is nothing like the one in the US.

I am being realistic about my chances for getting into a top program being slim to none, but I'm just not sure if I should hope that

I will get into a decent program altogether.

How should I address the issues listed above to show the admissions committee that I am aware of my shortcomings without sounding like a total whiny?

please help!

Many thanks in advance!

Edited by NeuroNerd86

You sound promising to me. Research experience and presentations are much more important than GPA (and your research experience is outstanding). Plus your GRE scores are hovering in the 80th % range, so no worries there.

As for how to address your issues in the SOP, just be straightforward and honest. Describe how your other education system was different and that it made a transition to the US system difficult. Acknowledge that you failed a class, but was determined to make up for it and got a B+ the next try! Graduate schools love things like that; they want to know that if you fall you pick yourself back up successfully.