Canadian Audiology Thread 2016

swrigh11

Hey guys!

I just wanted to start up a thread for any Fall 2016 AUD hopefuls in Canada!  I am in the final stretch of applying to UWO, I considered applying to Dalhousie and UBC, however, I didn't have the proper prereq's, so I'm not applying this year.  If I don't get accepted to UWO this year, I'll look into applying to other schools for next year!

• 1 month later...

I've applied to UWO. 

Has anyone gotten a unique scenario where they've already fulfilled prerequisites but for a different major? The reason I ask is because most of the prereqs I completed as a first year back in 2011-2012 already covered statistics and biology, but the prereq list for my university listed mostly psych courses. I spoke to Graduate Affairs and they ensured me that it falls under course equivalency because most of the things I studied were already relevant that it'd be redundant to pay to retake similar courses.

I'm hopeful that I'll get in, but I'm just not sure: did my volunteering at SickKids Toronto, had a reference who went to UWO, two of my professors offered to write the strongest possible reference letter, and GPA falls close to the B+ (A when you factor the last two years), plus a breadth of experience working with deaf and disabled children/adults.

Edited by DD19

I am not 100% what you mean by that.  Can you give an examples?

I feel like most students will have strong references and similar clinical hours.  I think it will come down to mostly GPA and personal submission. Any idea what the GPA cut off was last year?

Edited by AUD Hail Mary

On 1/27/2016 at 8:13 PM, AUD Hail Mary said:

I am not 100% what you mean by that.  Can you give an examples?

I feel like most students will have strong references and similar clinical hours.  I think it will come down to mostly GPA and personal submission. Any idea what the GPA cut off was last year?

Basically, the listed prereqs on UWO's website for my university only lists psychology major courses for stats and anatomy. I'm not a psychology major (criminology), but my own major requires statistics/research methodology and anatomy to be completed (FWIW, I know that the content is extremely similar bc I'm taking two more psych courses to prep and their statistics review section is identical to what I've learned previously).

I did get a chance to speak with UWO's grad affairs and she mentioned that since I did do stats and anatomy for a different major, that it fits under course equivalency. She suggested that I mention it in ORPAS application, so I even made sure to reference this in my letter. I just hope this won't be the reason why I get rejected as everything else about me seems to be pretty strong.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Kararay said:

I just got the call from UBC!!!!!! I got in! Good luck everyone:) 

Congrads! 

I had no idea they would be giving out offers so early.  How long are they giving you to accept the offer?

Mind telling us what your  GPA and sub GPA is?

Edited by AUD Hail Mary

Hi! I'm also applying in Audiology to Western, Dal and uOttawa (French program)! I'm happy to see that I'll be able to share my stress and excitement with other people!

Good luck to everyone and congratulations to you, Kararay! :)

I got notified yesterday (by phone) of an offer of admission to Dalhousie, contingent on choosing between the SLP and Audiology programs. I don't know whether this means they have started sending out acceptances. Mine might have been early because of the condition attached, I don't know.

I am racked with indecision.

Hey there!

I was wondering who else received a tentative email acceptances to the Dal Audiology program? I realize there doesn't seem to be many people posting here however, I'm just curious about numbers:)

Looks like people who applied to SLP received an e-mail on March 17 (yesterday) about being on the waiting list for Dal. I'm wondering if anyone who applied to Audiology also received this kind of email yesterday. :mellow:

On 3/28/2016 at 2:31 AM, Mirage112 said:

4 days before we know for Western and uOttawa!!! Anyone else waiting for an answer from them and hoping to get accepted there? :)

I definitely am. I got accepted to dal for audiology, but since Western is closer to home and a shorter program I'd much rather go there.

Waiting sucks. 

On 2/29/2016 at 10:04 AM, AUD Hail Mary said:

Congrads! 

I had no idea they would be giving out offers so early.  How long are they giving you to accept the offer?

Mind telling us what your  GPA and sub GPA is?

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I haven't checked back in a while. 

Yah I was really shocked. I had no idea they called that early. At first I thought something was wrong with my application. I have accepted the offer, but I believe I had until April 4th.

This year was my first year applying. My GPA is 3.6 and my sub GPA is around a 3.9. I have worked with the elderly since I was 14 and that experience played a large part in my wanting to become an audiologist. I have an honours degree in psychology, with a minor in linguistics. I have 160 hours volunteering at the childrens hospital, 16 hours with an audiologist, and 80 hours conducting a reading program within a personal care home. 

I think my letter of intent was the strongest part of my submission. My first year grades where not that great, but luckily they look for more than that.

I'm wishing everyone good luck! Any other UBC acceptances? The idea of moving is overwhelming and slightly terrifying. 

Rejected to both Dal and Western... But just received acceptance from uOttawa for both audiology and speech language therapy!!! :D

Now the hard question is to decide between both! :mellow: