A Baker's Dozen Application Questions

any5

I just submitted my Fall'16 Soc. PhD apps and I feel ok about them. But I have some questions which I never got good answers to. Even though it's a bit too late now, perhaps these issues will help people in the future if they can be specifically addressed. Not all of these issues concern me individually but some do and I have seen some asked by others which were not really answered very well...

1. How bad is a 3.2-3.4 undergrad GPA IF (a) it was 10+ years ago (b) it was in an unrelated major (engineering, biology, etc.) (c) if you also have a masters degree with a 3.90-4.00?

2. How bad is it if you submit more than 1 writing sample? (say one is an academic paper and the other is a thesis or theoretical paper)

3. How bad is it if you submit 4 LORs and not 3 (if they ask for 3 but allow up to 6 recommenders, for example)

4. How important or not is professional work experience in something social science-related (or finance related for econ-soc)?

5. How bad is it to be an older applicant (35+ years old)

6. How bad is it if you none of your recommenders are sociologists? What if one or more is non-academic due to time out of school?

7. If you have multiple GRE scores should you only send the best aggregated score? Or select one with the highest verbal (or quant)?

8. How bad is it if you go over the word/page limit for SoP or writing sample?

9. Is it detrimental if you contact the grad school admissions office by phone or email to check up on things/ask questions/ask questions about online application/check on status of documents such as transcripts or GRE scores? Do they even pass those contacts along to the adcom?

10. Do your references on your CV make any difference (for the ones who are not also recommenders)

11. Does the CV even get looked at, and if so does it play much into decisions?

12. If you have a specific research agenda should you highlight that in SoP or keep it more general/high level?

13. Do (rigorous) professional designations play any role in consideration - such as CPA, ASA (actuarial), CFA or FRM?

37 minutes ago, hazenyc said:

3. How bad is it if you submit 4 LORs and not 3 (if they ask for 3 but allow up to 6 recommenders, for example)

11. Does the CV even get looked at, and if so does it play much into decisions?

12. If you have a specific research agenda should you highlight that in SoP or keep it more general/high level?

3. I think the most important thing regarding recommendation letter is what your referee say about you in the letters. If you have fours and all of them mention you as a good potential for the program that would be a good thing.

11. If the program requiring it as one of the admission requirements, then yes definitely. But I don't think the committee will dive in to the CV extensively (especially if there are numerous number of applicants). Thus, it is important to design your CV so it will make the committee easier to get an impression that the applicant is a good potential for the program. 

12. I think that a good idea to put your research agenda, but also it would be good to add that you open to changes through your educational process at the program. 

I don't have answers to your questions one by one (I just sent in my apps as well!), but I'll put in my two cents for what it's worth:

You ask "how bad" it is to have more LORs than is required. If they allow up to 6, then I would imagine that's fine. They allow it. 

However, if they give a page limit for a writing sample, then I wouldn't go over it. You should be able to edit a sample to fit the specifications or you need to select a different sample. 

I can't imagine it would be detrimental (or really have an effect at all) if you contact admissions for info asking technical questions. Don't badger them, but I can't see why it'd be detrimental for you to reach out if you have a question.

I would not submit more than one writing sample unless they asked for it. (I had several programs clearly ask applicants NOT to send more than one-- so, of course, don't send more than one… I had one program ask for two-- so send two.)

---

I guess my take away (speaking as a high school teacher) is follow directions without exception. I know you said some of these were other people's questions, but it seems like you're nervous from this post (which, honestly, who isn't… but about half the questions ask "how bad" something is). One of the biggest factors is whether or not you fit with a department and whether or not you clearly conveyed how you would fit in your application. Apply for programs that are a good fit (with your academic interests/history, work experience, etc.) and focus on the positive. Best of luck!

I'd say 3 or 4 of these apply directly to me. I'm not so much nervous as want to temper my expectations.

That said, if anybody wants to give me their 2cents on my SoP I'm happy to share privately, because that piece is the one that is giving me the most agita :)

Answer to 2 & 8

I would personally stick to the application rules regarding your application.  The adcom goes through a ton of applications, and while I don't know this to be 100% true, I would assume that not following the rules of the application would not look good.  Just my two cents.

Same question about the multiple writing samples. If I only have co-authored samples, should I submit two manuscripts to indicate ability to write? Or just the one, even if it's co-authored? I will have a statement from co-author(s) attached to the sample(s) indicating my contribution to the manuscript.

Also, are people submitting abstracts with their writing samples? Or not necessary?

Edited by benzo