Tulane - not interested in global health?

laala

Hi there,

I'm wondering how much it makes sense to apply/go to a place like Tulane that's so heavily focused on global health if I'm not interested in global health? I'm interested in community-level prevention/policy in the U.S. - and potentially interested in human rights/refugee issues and immigration as far as the U.S.'s impact on other countries, but I think a lot of global health work seems very paternalistic and I'm not really interested in that. So I'm wondering if it makes sense to apply to/go to a place like Tulane that's so heavily focused on global health - are there still opportuntiies to study/do research at the school or community that aren't global and is it worth it in that sense? Are the faculty and students really completely focused on global health also? Any insight from current students or people who know more about it in general would be great!

I would be applying to the Community Health Sciences department, i like that it seems flexible to allow for customizing the degree a bit more, and that a certificate in Environmental Health is available with the community health focus - a lot of other programs only let the environment/climate-related certificates be coupled with a degree that's also already science focused; i don't have the science background to go in those depts, and do like community health in general but environmental/climate policy is also an interest so i'd appreciate the opportunity to do both.

And, to be honest - part of the appeal is that I have a very low GPA and it seems more forgiving to low GPAs than some other schools, maybe partially because it's rolling admission and I'd apply in the next week or so to have a better chance (although I realize it isn't that early anymore). I do have really good letters of rec and a strong statement of purpose, so i'm hoping those will make a difference. But my concern was that even if I did get into Tulane, whether it'd really make sense to go there - whether the Community Health Sciences dept. is as strong as its other depts., and whether i'd still get a good education on community health issues within the U.S. rather than globally (based on faculty interests/research and also other students' interests in general, and how much the focus is global or not in classes).

I'm late with my reply but I think you should go for Tulane. It seems like you looked into the program and you have found things you really like and appreciate about the program. Just be sure to be specific in your SOP about what you are interested in and what you want to do (don't say you don't want to do global health just stress what you enjoy and point out how that program could help you). 

I don't know how strong the program is but if you plan to go further than a Master's this is a great way for you to enter a program and improve your GPA so that if you decide to get a doctorate, you will be a stronger candidate. Good luck.

• 5 months later...

Global health is so overrated.  Of course, we should all share a passion for global health, but I think we start to lose focus of the immediacy of our country's own epidemic--the long-ongoing epidemic of a disparity in public health care between the minorities and the rest of our population--when our education community obsessively devotes its attention on health issues across the pond (or otherwise the U.S. border). It is why I have dedicated my life towards the cause of advocating for the reform of public health care of African Americans.  We should all come to take care of our immediate neighbors and work our way outwards towards helping others--I'm just saying. In this regard, Tulane and other universities should come gravitate towards more acutely addressing the health crisis of our country.

Patricia Konarski, MPH

African American Public Health Advocate

Clark Atlanta University (CAU) 2002

University of Arizona (UA), Master of Public Health Graduate 2006

Helping Raise the Bar of Public Health of African Americans

Remember: Health is Your Wealth!

PatriciaKonarskiAAMPA@yahoo.com

Tucson, Arizona

Edited by Patricia Konarski