Security Studies Chances?

coolclouds

Hello all,

I recently stumbled upon this forum and I am hoping you can offer me some advice about security studies programs in the US and my chances of admission for fall 2010.

I went to a large 50,000+ student state school in the big ten where I graduated from the psychology dept with a B.A.

I then moved abroad to teach English in Turkey.

Now I am interning at the Dept. of State.

Gpa: 3.4

GRE: to be taken later this month.

I am also fluent in a critical language and will have excellent LORs.

What are my chances at top security studies prgrams and what kind of GRE scores should I aim for?

Thanks!

So far, it sounds great -- decent GPA, good overseas experience, now working for State. Perhaps a few more clarifying details would help:

• When did you finish undergrad?
  • How long were you in Turkey?
  • What are your responsibilities at State currently?
  • Most importantly, what is it you want to do? What aspect of security studies interests you most? How do your experiences fit into your broader career goals, and how will grad school advance those ambitions?

I think if you can start generating the answers to these questions, often achieved through extensive introspection, you'll be able to present yourself as an even stronger candidate. Also, as you move through the application process, feel free to leverage this forum to bounce ideas off the community as you prepare your personal statement, which should thoroughly address the final question above.

Good luck!

So far, it sounds great -- decent GPA, good overseas experience, now working for State. Perhaps a few more clarifying details would help:

• When did you finish undergrad?
  • How long were you in Turkey?
  • What are your responsibilities at State currently?
  • Most importantly, what is it you want to do? What aspect of security studies interests you most? How do your experiences fit into your broader career goals, and how will grad school advance those ambitions?

I think if you can start generating the answers to these questions, often achieved through extensive introspection, you'll be able to present yourself as an even stronger candidate. Also, as you move through the application process, feel free to leverage this forum to bounce ideas off the community as you prepare your personal statement, which should thoroughly address the final question above.

Good luck!

I finished UG in Dec 2008

I was in Turkey Summer 2008 for 3 months, then Jan 09-June 09, and now again Oct-no return date. Plus like 20 something odd trips in between.

Currently I am in foreign service office intern. I do a variety of foreign policy related things.

In the future I would like to continue working for a govt organization (think 3 letter acronym type). Id elaborate but im actually at work now and dont have time to articulate further.

I finished UG in Dec 2008

I was in Turkey Summer 2008 for 3 months, then Jan 09-June 09, and now again Oct-no return date. Plus like 20 something odd trips in between.

Currently I am in foreign service office intern. I do a variety of foreign policy related things.

In the future I would like to continue working for a govt organization (think 3 letter acronym type). Id elaborate but im actually at work now and dont have time to articulate further.

Missing question here: do you want a masters for professional purposes or for getting a phd (whether or not that is soon or not).

I'm a current 1st year graduate student at the Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver. My concentration is in International Security.

I had a 3.6 GPA and on the GREs I received the following scores: Verbal - 630, Quantitative - 610 and a 6.0 on the writing. The other school to which I applied was the Fletcher School at Tufts. I was accepted to both schools and chose Korbel because of the scholarship I was given and because the security program is one of the best in the world - bar none.

The International Security program at Korbel is intensive in its focus on the real-world problems currently facing our country and the world. In combination with events like the recent colloquium on intelligence in the 21st century held with representatives of CIA, FBI, NIA, DIA, NORAD, Homeland Security and the Geospatial-Intelligence Agency students like myself get a thorough grounding in the theretical and practical aspects of the field. We have some of the best and most recognized instructors in security issues in the country including current and former employees of CIA, FBI, NSA and all branches of the military. Many of our graduates work for the same agencies and have authored some of the most current scholarly articles and books on issues related to terrorism, international relations, insurgency and counterinsurgency, civil military relations, intelligence analysis and more.

You'd be a great candidate for the school and I'd urge you to take a look at it if you get a chance. Or send me a private message if you want more information.

I am looking at a MA for professional purposes, not for the PhD track. What difference does it make?

Does the math section matter for these programs as far as GRE scores are concerned?

All sections of the GRE matter but each school puts more emphasis on one portion more than another. Personally I think the quantitative portion shouldn't be required for IR candidates because we don't use geometry or algebra for anything, other than basic statistics. Candidates certainly should be quantitatively conversant but it's not necessary to be fluent. Certain programs are considered "terminal" programs, meaning you're ending your education with an MA, while others are designed for a Ph.D track.