LESS COMPETITIVE SLP GRAD SCHOOL

Currently a junior slp undergrad and every day the scary reality of getting into grad school becomes a bit more real. 

I'm extremely nervous because I do not have anywhere close to a 4.0 gpa. I have a 3.3 right now (3.7 for the major) but since I am still only a junior I am trying to get it up, plus i have yet to take the GREs which I plan on trying to take a prep course for. I am a fairly strong writer so I believe I will be able to write an impressive SOP and I am hoping for great letters of recommendation. I also have a concentration in gerontology, not sure if this would make any difference. As for extra curricular/involvement I am part of NSSHLA, hold leadership roles within my sorority, and have a position on the National Panhellenic council (I am not sure how much that would matter though and if a sorority is even worth putting down on my resume). I do have a work study job at the speech clinic in my school also. 

I live in NYC, but went out of state for undergrad. I would love to complete my graduate program back in the city, however I feel the city is where it would be more competitive. Does anyone know of any less competitve slp grad programs in NYC that I would have a chance of getting into? Or things I should do to increase my chances of getting accepted? I plan on applying to 10-12 schools.

I want nothing more than to get accepted into a graduate program to be one step closer to making my dreams come true. Thank you for any help/advice!! 

I recommend doing some research. Take a look at ASHA's list of schools and their GPA/GRE ranges, see where you fit or are close to, and email each school individually. I did it this year, and I got some really great responses from programs letting me know if I am or am not similar to the students they have previously accepted. It definitely helped me narrow down where it made sense to apply, and I'm pretty confident in my decisions. Good luck!