Rate my chances - MPA/MPP - 2010

Hi,

This is my first time on this forum. Would be great to get a feedback on how best I fit a policy program in top schools, how can I best position myself as a strong candidate and how to build up on my SOP. Thanks in advance!

I am applying for MPA/MPP Fall 2010.

Targeting : KSG,Princeton, Berkeley, SIPA, Tufts, Georgetown, SAIS

GRE Score :- V : 680, Q : 700

I have done my undergrad from JNU-India (2005). GPA - 3.08. The best place for social sciences and humanities in India.I majored in Korean Language and also took some courses on Political Science, Philosophy and English Literature. Post this, I did my 2 year masters in Communications Management. GPA -3.12 .I took classes on micro and macro economics here and an elementary course in Statistics. I have approx. 1.5 years (to date) of work experience with India's leading newspaper in a marketing management capacity.

I am interested in public policy to steer my career into a public sphere and specialize in International Relations. I intend to work in the diplomacy domain post graduation.

Please rate my chances and any tips on SOP, reco, policy memo (WWS,KSG) will be really really helpful.

Edited by MPAIndia2010

Nehru University is a fantastic school and I'm sure your experience there was excellent. Your statistics and experience are equally impressive; however, your career ambitions seem vague. Could you provide more clarification on what your long-term objectives are, and how your graduate education will further them?

Also -- MPA and MPP degrees vary considerably, and those are often quite different from MAIR / MALD / MSFS programs. Because your experience has varied considerably, a little more focus would be of tremendous help, both to us and to yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MPA India - Im looking at similar courses to yours.

My GRE Verbal was 710 and Quant at 790.

I did my MBA in International Business from Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New Delhi. In addition,I hold a BCom from Shri Ram College of Commerce and am a Licentiate of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India.

Im currently working with a large US Investment Bank in Risk Management with overall work experience of > 2.5 years. I have had international education as well as working experience of varying lengths during this time.

Can somebody answer questions on similar lines to MPAIndia for me as well for similar courses?

Thank you in advance.

Hi guys,

I am also going to apply to Harvard Kennedy School; I am taking the GRE in 5 weeks and I am terrified by the verbal section of the exam where both of you did very well! Can you please tell me how you studied for it?

Thank you in advance for your time!!

I haven't taken the test yet, but have improved my practice scores and am expecting a verbal score in the 650-680 range. I've been memorizing vocab on and off for the past year.

Whenever you see a word you don't understand, write it down, make lists or flash cards, memorize it. Download a flashcard app for your mobile phone so you can always test yourself on the go or during any downtime. I use an antiquated program called Flash! for my palm treo. There's lots of other apps out there.

Get princeton's word smart for the GRE. It's a good list of words that are hard, but useful with handy quizzes and examples. I think these are words that most academics should know. It's size makes it easy to carry around.

Then when you're done with that, there's also Barron's word list. This list is bigger than the Princeton word list and contains many easy words and some less useful words than the princeton list. I just go through it and pick out some of the ones I don't know, make lists, flash cards and memorize.

Then of course the practice tests and strategies provided by Princeton review and any other test prep book are useful.

MPP Applicant -

I would say practice the powerprep exams thoroughly. They are a good indicator of how you will fare (in fact I scored a few notches above my practice scores).

Second, the exam conditions are very different from the learning of words. In the 'war' scenario, your gut instincts about words, their relationships and their meaning come into play. So try to rub them in and try to develop an instinct about the words and what they may mean in a particular context.

To repeat a cliche, a good reading history is a great resource in these situations.