Getting in with low GRE scores

LateAntique

I'm just wondering if you know of people who have been accepted with low GRE scores. I'm taking it this Saturday and although I'm not too worried about the verbal section, I will probably bomb the quantitative. I haven't had a math class in over 7 years. I have a good GPA, my recommenders are all very positive about me going into graduate studies, etc. The rest of the package will be good - but I'm pretty sure the quantitative section will suck. So, do you know anyone who was accepted into a graduate program with low GRE but a good overall package?

I'm just wondering if you know of people who have been accepted with low GRE scores. I'm taking it this Saturday and although I'm not too worried about the verbal section, I will probably bomb the quantitative. I haven't had a math class in over 7 years. I have a good GPA, my recommenders are all very positive about me going into graduate studies, etc. The rest of the package will be good - but I'm pretty sure the quantitative section will suck. So, do you know anyone who was accepted into a graduate program with low GRE but a good overall package?

That's much too general a question to fully answer, but the answer is most probably - yes.

If you want to be more specific, it depends on many many factors - MA/PhD, top ranked/lower ranked, applicant's previous research experience?, publications?, strong LORs, focused SOP, WS, fit..

Some departments will have strict cutoffs and won't even look at apps that don't meet them, but many others will look through the pile of apps that didn't make it through that initial point and look for outstanding apps to move back to the "further consideration" pile. Some departments are small enough and can afford to read every app seriously. In those cases, GRE scores are less important. So I'm sure that there have been candidates with lower scores admitted to all kinds of places.

That's much too general a question to fully answer, but the answer is most probably - yes.

If you want to be more specific, it depends on many many factors - MA/PhD, top ranked/lower ranked, applicant's previous research experience?, publications?, strong LORs, focused SOP, WS, fit..

Some departments will have strict cutoffs and won't even look at apps that don't meet them, but many others will look through the pile of apps that didn't make it through that initial point and look for outstanding apps to move back to the "further consideration" pile. Some departments are small enough and can afford to read every app seriously. In those cases, GRE scores are less important. So I'm sure that there have been candidates with lower scores admitted to all kinds of places.

I left it vague intentionally. I just want to see what kinds of programs people got into without stellar GRE scores.

I left it vague intentionally. I just want to see what kinds of programs people got into without stellar GRE scores.

I got into programs at two ivy league schools with average/low GRE scores. My overall application must have offset my low scores. I had recent work experience in research as well as several years of work directly related to the programs I applied for. I also had pretty good grades, so that helped. I do think that my low scores kept me out of two programs that I suspect "filtered" out applicants by GRE scores.

Good luck! I think you have a shot if you have an outstanding SOP, strong letters of reference, and interesting work and/or research experience.

What would you call low GRE scores? I believe my score is low, but did get into respectable schools last year.

yea what is low?

like i have a 540 both sections, my gre prep teacher said that is 'average' and 600 is good

yet on these boards it seems that 600 is average...like.....it seems like 1300 won't hurt you but anythign below will

its intimidating.

If you're worried about the quant, is that what you've been concentrating on with your studying? I hadn't had a math class in close to 15 years and still managed to do well (well for me) on the quant because I relearned all the material I had forgotten. I found the quant section MUCH easier to study for than the verbal -- and I am absolutely not a 'math person.'

But to answer your question, I agree with the others, typically it won't make or break you, especially if you're going into a less quantitative field and the rest of your application is strong. However, it may depend based on the program and whether or not they have those pesky cut offs.

If you're worried about the quant, is that what you've been concentrating on with your studying? I hadn't had a math class in close to 15 years and still managed to do well (well for me) on the quant because I relearned all the material I had forgotten. I found the quant section MUCH easier to study for than the verbal -- and I am absolutely not a 'math person.'

But to answer your question, I agree with the others, typically it won't make or break you, especially if you're going into a less quantitative field and the rest of your application is strong. However, it may depend based on the program and whether or not they have those pesky cut offs.

I have been memorizing math formulae, but I'm as bad at math today as I was back then (go figure). I imagine my verbal will be above average, so if I can get a 400-500 on the quantitative, I would be happy.

I'm not sure if this helps, but some schools are actually wary of scores that are TOO high. My professor told me her advisor in her PhD program (this is recently) was on the adcom, and they wouldn't accept people who scored above 1480. Seriously. They had a "too high" cutoff. The reason? He said people who scored high ended up being "too weird." (This was in an I/O psych program.) I'm sure that's not the norm to just throw out any applications over a certain GRE score, but in that program, a more "normal" score was actually an advantage.

I remember a post saying how even if you look at PhD candidates at Harvard, you won't find an average GRE score of 1600. Programs aren't looking for testing geniuses who ace the GRE...they're looking for an overall strong applicant who will be good at research & a good fit in their program.

So, if you've done your best on the GRE, I wouldn't stress about it (though I know that's easier said than done)--I'm sure there are programs that will be a good fit for you out there.