MSW + Probation?

xXIDaShizIXx

Hey guys, 

I was just wondering if anyone on here has a MSW and works in Probation or Pretrial services either on the state or federal level? And what helped you get into that position? I current work for a state government in a case management/investigator capacity and was interested in making the transition. Would tailoring my practica to these places help with later employment? 

Thanks!

EDIT: Well crap that title is misleading.

Edited by xXIDaShizIXx
Funny Title

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding as far as probation and the jail system goes with social worker, they have to be licensed because they expect them to stand trial for inmates for competency of that inmate. Some MSW programs offer placements at jail but that's as far as I seen a social worker without a license in LA County goes. You can also work with junveniles in probation and do some case management stuff with them but licensing is a key factor to really getting in with adults.

On 12/29/2015 at 10:49 PM, Deez said:

From my understanding as far as probation and the jail system goes with social worker, they have to be licensed because they expect them to stand trial for inmates for competency of that inmate. Some MSW programs offer placements at jail but that's as far as I seen a social worker without a license in LA County goes. You can also work with junveniles in probation and do some case management stuff with them but licensing is a key factor to really getting in with adults.

I think this may just be in California. There are at least 3 states that I know of that don't require anything more than a bachelor's degree.