MIT EECS Fall 16

notperry

There are a lot of CS results... I'm not sure why you're not seeing them? You just have to search "computer science".

I'm going to assume I got rejected, since I didn't get an email... It would be nice to get a rejection email so that I can move on, though. :)

are you guys sure it is over? there is only like 16 results on the survey page, I am sure they take like 100PhD Students a year or so right?
Possible second round or should we assume rejection?

On 12/17/2015 at 3:21 PM, Icydubloon said:

Unfortunately, yes. There are way too many people applying to artificial intelligence and machine learning these days.

I got into MIT and CMU PhD without any ML publication or research experience. So I guess it's not that true. Yeah~!

4 minutes ago, (Y) said:

Does anyone know how MIT's funding works? Every other school I got into offered the package with the admission letter. Apparently, MIT has a different taste...

I replied to you on the other thread. MIT guarantees full funding for all of its students given they make satisfiable progress on their academics and research. Tuition/Insurance are waived, and for first year students (incoming), TA is not given; either RA/fellowship/departmental support will be given. Fellowships will be announced before March or April. 

On 2/4/2016 at 2:10 PM, Yav Friendly said:

How many do they recruit every year? Based on the amount of admission posted it starts to feel like that was it.

The exact number is unknown and not released. However, it is estimated that around 3000 people apply (this year close to 3000 according to acceptance letter) for EECS, and about 150 people are accepted. Among 150, yield rate is about 65-70%, making incoming students size around 100. Although total number of postgraduate students are mid 900, about 300 are the MIT undergraduates who are getting Master of Eng degree. So, about 650 people are the one in PhD program (or SM continuing PhD) with an average completion time of 6 years after Bachelor degree.

Edited by flipflops

Just now, flipflops said:

I replied to you on the other thread. MIT guarantees full funding for all of its students given they make satisfiable progress on their academics and research. Tuition/Insurance are waived, and for first year students (incoming), TA is not given; either RA/fellowship/departmental support will be given. Fellowships will be announced before March or April. 

Thanks again! Seeing you eveywhere... What do you study?

• 2 weeks later...

I have no hope from MIT (just because no papers), but I haven't heard anything so far from them. The site just says check early March for results.

Should I just assume it's a reject now? I am getting tensed because I have no admits for MS/MEng so far!

I applied in the Computer Graphics and HCI area.

20 minutes ago, Irene_Adler said:

I have no hope from MIT (just because no papers), but I haven't heard anything so far from them. The site just says check early March for results.

Should I just assume it's a reject now? I am getting tensed because I have no admits for MS/MEng so far!

I applied in the Computer Graphics and HCI area.

Yeah, unfortunately. There is a chance for waitlist, but it's rare.

34 minutes ago, aksiksi said:

Yeah, unfortunately. There is a chance for waitlist, but it's rare.

Hmm, well thanks! At least that's clear now. I just wish they would give an official reject soon and get it over with so that I am sure.

I think everyone agrees waiting is much harder than facing rejection :(