Linguistics Project or Research Before Grad School

bachelorette

I am looking into a PhD in Linguistics, likely for Fall 2017. I want more experience/research prior to applying for both my own sake (to help narrow and focus my PhD thesis interests) and the sake of my application.

Any suggestions/ideas for how to make this happen? How to find projects or research or get involved, short of enrolling in a terminal masters program (which I do not want to do)?

I'm from the UK so speaking from personal experience only..

If you're doing an undergrad in linguistics and the curriculum has a thesis option you can take that I guess? If not then see if your department allows independent study modules or research extensions? I did an independent study module for a term. It was short but very good experience because I got to write my own study plan and research outline for it. Otherwise, talk to your supervisor and express interest in finding research-related projects. And also, subscribe to your department's mailing list if you do not already..the one where phd students and faculty members post stuff like talks, conference call for papers, and project openings.

All the best! :)

Thanks for your suggestion. I already graduated with my BA in Linguistics and I did do the thesis option. This was a few years ago though, so I'm trying ot get back in the game and also try to gain focus on what I'd really like my thesis to be in :)

Depending on where you are, if there is a linguistics program at a school near you then one thing you can do is start showing up for talks and reading groups. Obviously, no one is required to meet with you and advise you on a project if your are not a student, but usually they won't mind if someone comes to public events such as colloquia and other talks. They probably will mind if you sit in on classes, but if you demonstrate that you are serious, you might be able to find a professor who would agree to occasionally meet with you. It's a bit hard to know. You then might be able to develop a sort of independent project where you can occasionally talk to someone about it, but a lot of the time you'll be reading on your own. If you establish a relationship with the school, there might be an option of presenting work in progress in some reading group and getting feedback that way. Doing an MA might be another, more official option, but you'd want to make sure it actually gives you the opportunity to do independent research. Another option is to find a position as a research assistant or lab manager in a relevant lab, if that's something that exists near you. There are a few (though not many) of these positions out there, and they could be a good way to get your foot in the door.