Increasing Chances of Acceptence?

Tahuds

I'm a 2nd semester Philosophy and Religion major at a small liberal arts college who is very interested in going to YDS for an M.A.R. My department has sent people to YDS before, and my professor is on the board of advisers there, so my coming from a small school won't be a hindrance. I want to improve my chances of admittance as much as possible so any suggestions as to that aim would be wonderful. I have a 3.82 GPA, with only one B in major (damn french gave me a B and a C), and am active in my school as a member of the debate team. I'm also a assistant chaplain at a boyscout camp, where I have worked each summer for four years.

I visited YDS last spring with my aforementioned professor and met with Melissa Pucci, the assistant director of admissions there, whom I have also met with a number of times since at Yale events and when she visited my school. She was vague as to what qualities and scores they are looking for when I last met with her, and I am wondering what else I can do to make myself shine.

Any recent YDS inductees want to share what might have put them over the top?

Edited by Tahuds

I can give you some general tips:

(1) Summas are always best when dealing with competitive programs. It seems obvious, but keep your grades up.

(2) Your LoR need to be top-notch, coming from professors who know you well and are willing to put their professional reputation on the line. That being said, try to make sure your recommenders have some sort of reputation in their field. The more well-known they are, the better.

(3) Try to show some initiative outside of school, pursuing your interests without being forced to.

(4) Before you start dealing with your target school's faculty, read some of their major works

(5) Fit is really important; apply where you will be at home.