Getting Scores to Schools

NervousNellie

How does this work?

As I understand it, before the test one must name the schools to which the GRE scores should be sent. However, only one of the programs to which I am applying requires the GRE. For the other programs, it is optional.

Clearly if my scores are good (praying here), I will want the scores sent to all schools. However, if my scores are not good, I will want them sent only to the program where it is a requirement for the application.

Can I wait until after I see the scores to name the schools? Some of the scores come in on test day, correct? Should I base my decision on those scores?

Your thinking process seems sound to me. You can choose to only send the score report to the one school that requires it, and decide later whether to send it to the other schools after you see the actual scores. Caveat: if you do that, you will have to pay for the reports - you only get the 4 free ones during the test, not after.

Another thing to think about: for the programs that don't require a score, how do they word this? Sometimes "highly recommended" really means "required".

Your thinking process seems sound to me. You can choose to only send the score report to the one school that requires it, and decide later whether to send it to the other schools after you see the actual scores. Caveat: if you do that, you will have to pay for the reports - you only get the 4 free ones during the test, not after.

For the free ones, do I have to name the school(s) before starting the exam, or will I get a chance to name the school(s) immediately after finishing the exam (with initial scoring visible)?

Another thing to think about: for the programs that don't require a score, how do they word this? Sometimes "highly recommended" really means "required".

There is one school that would probably strongly prefer it, but most in this field don't ask for GRE scores or comment about it at all.

Edited by NervousNellie