The Josef Korbel School of International Studies at the University of Denver

Could a current student tell us a little more about the language proficiency requirements? I found this page http://www.du.edu/ahss/schools/langlit/Proficiency_and_Plac.html explaining the requirement. Is there also an oral component? Is the Spanish sample exam and good example of what we would have to pass to graduate (6 sections; 3 of which are translations and the other three are reading comprehension - http://www.du.edu/ahss/schools/langlit/Proficiency_and_Plac.html)?

Thanks.

Could a current student tell us a little more about the language proficiency requirements? I found this page http://www.du.edu/ahss/schools/langlit/Proficiency_and_Plac.html explaining the requirement. Is there also an oral component? Is the Spanish sample exam and good example of what we would have to pass to graduate (6 sections; 3 of which are translations and the other three are reading comprehension - http://www.du.edu/ahss/schools/langlit/Proficiency_and_Plac.html)?

Thanks.

It's just like the sample exam. It's 2 hours and they let you use a dictionary and verb book. No oral component. Not a bad deal unless you're taking it in Arabic or an Asian language.

Why is it a bad deal in Arabic or an Asian language? I ask because ideally I would take the exam in Japanese. Is it because these languages do not use the Latin alphabet?

Not having an oral component makes it really easy, actually. Thanks for the info.

Right--can't really look up the words you don't know. So you're at a disadvantage in that respect.

Right--can't really look up the words you don't know. So you're at a disadvantage in that respect.

I'd like the interject here; if he/she will take the Japanese exam, you will be able to look up words in the dictionary because the Japanese "alphabet" is only like 46 different characters...  double the amount with katakana.  Totally look-upable... just sayin.  And if it starts with a Chinese char, I think they put the hiragana right next to it.

That being said, I'd probably take the Japanese one myself as well :P

I'm not sure if someone addressed this earlier or not but if you grew up speaking a foreign language at home, you're exempt from the language exam. It's as simple as typing a letter and having someone who can vouch for you. JKSIS doesn't advertise this very well (I heard about it through a classmate) but it saved me the hassle of taking the exam.

I'm not sure if someone addressed this earlier or not but if you grew up speaking a foreign language at home, you're exempt from the language exam. It's as simple as typing a letter and having someone who can vouch for you. JKSIS doesn't advertise this very well (I heard about it through a classmate) but it saved me the hassle of taking the exam.

This is true.

This is true.

Just speaking though?  What about reading and writing?  I can speak Chinese at home with my parents but I'd say I'm hardly qualified to translate a newspaper/scholarly article (Chinese chars are hardddd.)  

On a separate note, is it possible for students to "audit" a language course just to learn/review?  I'll probably end up taking the Japanese exam instead because I can read/write in it, but having a review course would be nice beforehand.  I'd also like to learn some formal Chinese as well (as a critical language in job application.)

Just speaking though?  What about reading and writing?  I can speak Chinese at home with my parents but I'd say I'm hardly qualified to translate a newspaper/scholarly article (Chinese chars are hardddd.)  

On a separate note, is it possible for students to "audit" a language course just to learn/review?  I'll probably end up taking the Japanese exam instead because I can read/write in it, but having a review course would be nice beforehand.  I'd also like to learn some formal Chinese as well (as a critical language in job application.)

Your first language, which you must be fluent in - speaking, reading and writing - qualifies you for the language requirement. If you can only speak the language you will not fulfill the language requirement. The office of Student Affairs at Korbel can require any student availing themselves of the first-language exemption to take a language test at any point. It's important this exemption be respected.

In regards to the second question. No - graduate students may not audit any undergraduate language courses at DU. I agree this is unfortunate but this is the policy. If you want to take language courses at an undergraduate level at DU those will be included in your graduate instruction tuition - even if you audit them.

Korbel does offer other means of refreshing oneself with language courses - including online instruction. But it is not an option to audit an undergraduate language course at DU without paying tuition.

Your first language, which you must be fluent in - speaking, reading and writing - qualifies you for the language requirement. If you can only speak the language you will not fulfill the language requirement. The office of Student Affairs at Korbel can require any student availing themselves of the first-language exemption to take a language test at any point. It's important this exemption be respected.

In regards to the second question. No - graduate students may not audit any undergraduate language courses at DU. I agree this is unfortunate but this is the policy. If you want to take language courses at an undergraduate level at DU those will be included in your graduate instruction tuition - even if you audit them.

Korbel does offer other means of refreshing oneself with language courses - including online instruction. But it is not an option to audit an undergraduate language course at DU without paying tuition.

Thanks for the clarification.  Can a language course be included as an elective?  Although I'd like to do all my electives in graduate courses, will taking an undergrad lang course suffice to fulfill one elective slot?  I'd really prefer an a "face to face" review instead of talking to my computer with Rosetta Stone :P

I've been told that if you tell them you spoke a second language at home they take your word for it and wave the requirement (obviously, you shouldn't be embellishing this fact). Secondly, while you do have to pay tuition for extra language classes, you can take them through University College (which charges less for tuition)...something like only $200 above what you pay for the semester under the 12-18 credits range.

Edited by flyers29

I got accepted to both Korbel and Maxwell for International Security. I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. It sounds as if some of you Korbel students aren't happy with the program. I would be quite upset if I continuously didn't get the classes I wanted (I have a particular interest in terrorism and the Middle East, I don't know if those are popular subjects at Korbel).

A couple things that are making me lean toward Maxwell are its Global programs (many study abroad opportunities) and it offers a certificate in ME Studies.

If any one can offer any insights, I'd appreciate it.

I got accepted to both Korbel and Maxwell for International Security. I'm having a difficult time deciding between the two. It sounds as if some of you Korbel students aren't happy with the program. I would be quite upset if I continuously didn't get the classes I wanted (I have a particular interest in terrorism and the Middle East, I don't know if those are popular subjects at Korbel).

A couple things that are making me lean toward Maxwell are its Global programs (many study abroad opportunities) and it offers a certificate in ME Studies.

Actually Korbel's regional focus is more so on the Middle East/South Asia than anything (we also have courses on Middle East security and terrorism)--so you'd be a great fit in that respect. We only have a couple of developed study abroad programs through Korbel (which is ironic, because DU as a whole has a great study abroad program that sees something like 70% of undergrads studying abroad during their time here), but there's always the possibility of putting something together on your own. Otherwise, I don't really know anything about Maxwell--looks like it's cheaper, but Syracuse is also REALLY frickin cold. :)

I think if the standard is being unhappy if you "continuously didn't get the classes I wanted" you're going to be disappointed in whatever school you choose. All schools have waiting lists for popular classes. I had waiting lists for popular classes as an undergraduate and I went to a highly selective private university.

That being said the terrorism and MIE studies classes at Korbel at not usually the classes which have waiting lists. I took International Terrorism last term and I was a 1st year in my 1st term - which meant I got to register last and I still got a place in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a current student at Korbel; and since the Middle East is a long-time interest of mine (this is a midlife career change), I was delighted to discover the concentration in Middle East Studies AND ISIME (Institute for the Study of Israel in the Middle East). Terrorism is also a big concentration at Korbel -- professors include Dr. Paul Viotti (formerly taught at the USAFA and is a member of the CFR), Dr. Karen Feste (she's written books on conflict resolution and has a new one out called TERMINATE TERRORISM), Dr. Hal Gregory (on loan from the CIA), Greg Moser (homeland security) and whomever will come in to replace Dr. Peg Sanders (formerly of the CIA -- just retired). I started at Korbel last summer and have been extremely impressed (far more than I expected to be) with the school. Professors, fellow students, special programs/speakers, Student Affairs and and the Career Center ... they're all outstanding.

--Carol

I'm a current student at Korbel; and since the Middle East is a long-time interest of mine (this is a midlife career change), I was delighted to discover the concentration in Middle East Studies AND ISIME (Institute for the Study of Israel in the Middle East). Terrorism is also a big concentration at Korbel -- professors include Dr. Paul Viotti (formerly taught at the USAFA and is a member of the CFR), Dr. Karen Feste (she's written books on conflict resolution and has a new one out called TERMINATE TERRORISM), Dr. Hal Gregory (on loan from the CIA), Greg Moser (homeland security) and whomever will come in to replace Dr. Peg Sanders (formerly of the CIA -- just retired). I started at Korbel last summer and have been extremely impressed (far more than I expected to be) with the school. Professors, fellow students, special programs/speakers, Student Affairs and and the Career Center ... they're all outstanding.

--Carol

Congrats!

I'm still holding out hope that the lack of any news/updates to my admission status does not mean I have been denied. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

I hope that, whatever the news, they are done by the end of today. I just want to know whether or not I'll be in Denver next year. If not, I get to wait until March for the other schools I've applied to. If it weren't for my only marginally acceptable cumulative GPA I wouldn't be worried.

Has anyone received a denial yet? Denials often go out last...or at least at the university I attended for undergrad!

A number of my friends went to Korbel (when it was GSIS) and they are doing fine. However, they say it is not a program for those interested in quant/data analysis studies--it's simply not a strength there, or at least it wasn't a few years ago. Notice how they only mention verbal GRE scores for those looking seeking scholarship consideration?

Got my acceptance last week to the MA, first school to hear from. Excited that I got in anywhere, interested to see how the other schools respond.

A number of my friends went to Korbel (when it was GSIS) and they are doing fine. However, they say it is not a program for those interested in quant/data analysis studies--it's simply not a strength there, or at least it wasn't a few years ago. Notice how they only mention verbal GRE scores for those looking seeking scholarship consideration?

Quant courses are required for a couple of the programs. More a "it's there if you want it, but you don't need to take it" sort of thing.

• 3 weeks later...

Quant courses are required for a couple of the programs. More a "it's there if you want it, but you don't need to take it" sort of thing.

I'm not particularly interested in quantitative analysis - but I know within Security at least we're required to take beginning and advanced analysis and methods classes where we do learn quantitative methods and analysis - at least to the point of being conversant in that methodology, if not fluent.

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the clarification. Can a language course be included as an elective? Although I'd like to do all my electives in graduate courses, will taking an undergrad lang course suffice to fulfill one elective slot? I'd really prefer an a "face to face" review instead of talking to my computer with Rosetta Stone :P

No, you can't take a language course for one of your electives. Sorry. That said, my Spanish was rusty; nonetheless, I passed the language test because (1) they allow you to bring in a vocab book and a verb book, and (2) your speaking skills don't get tested.

• 1 year later...

I hope it's ok if I'll revive this discussion about Korbel as it's that time of the year again when people will need to make decisions soon.

I've applied to Korbel alongside pretty much all the top tier IR programs (SIPA, SAIS Bologna, Fletcher, GWU, AU etc.). However, as you well know, people have questions about the location - is Denver just too out of the loop and not great enough for networking and internship experience? Also, even though getting a great and right education for you is key, the brand still means something especially if you want to possibly work outside of US one day (as I do). DU and Korbel just doesn't have that appeal in many circles and that combined with the not so ideal location...it's tricky.

Do you any of you have any input about where Korbel ranks and if it's worth paying more to attend let's say SIPA or HKS? I have a great chance of getting good if not great money from Korbel so it's just a matter deciding whether these other schools in NY, Boston, DC (and Bologna for one year) are that much better than Korbel that it's worth to pay more. This is of course assuming that I will get in to these schools (I'm not assuming anything, I'm just speaking hypothetically here).

Also relevant info: I'm not a US citizen so US govt jobs are not for me (I know Denver has a lot of those). Also, the whole NGO field isn't really my primary focus as I'm more interested in policymaking related to int econ policy.

Any other Korbel applicants or current students here?