Admission to SLP after completing Online Post Bacc

Hi all.  I am interested in applying to an SLP master's program, and already have a bachelor's in Health Management (graduated in 2013).  So I am doing my research on whether to complete a 2nd bachelor's or just complete the pre-req's from an online Post Bacc program (I am leaning more towards the post bacc program).  

I have been reading through posts, but would like to create this thread for those who have been admitted to an SLP grad program after completing an ONLINE post bacc program.  I have read many who have attended physically to complete their post bacc, but I would like to know who has been admitted to an slp grad program after completing it purely online.

Thanks.   =)

I did a second bachelors at USU and currently attend a grad school. I found that the location/medium of my second bachelors (which just appears as any other bachelors, no indication of online or live) didn't really impact my applications. As long as you do well in your classes, the admissions commitee seems more interested in your first bachelors and just seeing that you have all the prereqs and did well in them. 

Edited by JFFA

I noticed when I was entering my pre-requisites for schools, they don't ask if it is online or not, just if you had done the required courses.  There are some pros to attending classes at a campus.  I was able to shadow some professors that I had for classes, and was able to learn more about different areas of speech by observing sites at my school (KU). I asked for two letters from professors that I observed, both whom are on the admissions committee at KU.  I had to go to work part-time since I didn't do it online, but I definitely think it was worth it. The professors can learn a lot about your personality and study habits just by having you in class, which will help you a lot if you are applying to that program.

I'll second what JFFA said.  I also did a second bachelor's at USU, which I have heard is highly regarded in the eyes of graduate admissions committees.  I'm applying for Fall 2016, so we'll see what happens.  I don't believe that my chances of getting into graduate school are at all hindered by my online degree status.  JFFA is also correct in that the diploma is for a bachelor's in Communicative Disorders - nowhere on the transcripts or diploma does it say "Online".

Best of luck!

• 2 months later...

My undergrad was in Art History, with a Gen. Business minor.  Yup, big switch.   If you're a post-bacc-y, I think having a health or sciences degree would help give you leg up no matter what type of post-bacc program you do.  I spent about 3 years as a special education teacher assistant for the Anchorage School District before stumbling upon the awesome SLP career.  My post-bacc was entirely online, primarily through the University of Alaska.  When I started researching schools, I noticed that the program was a little short in the number and types of credits needed for most grad schools, so I supplemented 3 more classes from the University of Montana (also online).  I think as long as you can add a little bit of valuable experience and a bunch of shadowing/observation to supplement the post-bacc coursework, you'll be fine.  The only reason I think they would prefer an on-campus program is for clinical/hands-on experience, which is harder to get in an online post-bacc.  Document all of your observation and hands-on experience in your CSDCAS application.  Some programs require or prefer 25 observation hours prior to beginning graduate school.  The University of Montana's online program requires a lot of those hours to be completed throughout the program (a lot of them through MasterClinician.org).

Just a thought... I had decided that if I didn't get into grad school this round, I would then continue taking classes to essentially add up to another bachelor's degree.  That way it's not a total loss for you if you don't get in the first time.  But, if you do, great!  Then, you didn't have to wait as long. :)